the oldest city in the USA

Saint Augustine Travel Blog

at Castillo de San Marcos
I'm currently in the oldest-continuously-occupied-European-established city.  That's right people, Florida is where it all began.

I'm staying at the Pirate Haus Inn (where they make you free pancakes with messages in them - today I got "G'day mate"), which is right smack in the middle of the downtown area.  The whole city screams TOURISM - pirates, ghost tours, oldest-this, Spanish-that - but somehow manages to feel like a nice relaxed city just with lots to see and do.  (I'm sure the never-ending sunshine doesn't hurt).

The long pedestrian street through the middle of town is full of shops and bars and restaurants and tours, and was buzzing late into the balmy night yesterday, and continued to buzz today.

I checked out the Castillo de San Marcos - a pretty cool fortress that's stood the test of time, with cannon-firing demonstrations and all!

I also visited Flagler College which is a ridiculously gorgeous college campus.  It was once the very opulent Hotel Ponce de Leon, and is now... well, a stunning place to study.  Almost makes me want to go back to school...

And then I spent the afternoon over at the St Augustine Lighthouse, with some pretty great views and interesting background.

Now I think I might need to go out for some ice-cream.  The smell of freshly-made waffle cones has been torturing me all day...
Flagler College