beignet... done that

New Orleans Travel Blog

Beignet...

The last stop on Melissa & Erin's Excellent Adventure was New Orleans.  We quickly agreed that this would be the how-much-can-we-eat-and-drink leg of the tour.

Our first night we had some (pretty average) 'soul food' - jambalaya, ribs, cornbread, etc.  But we paired it with "Swampade" - a rather delicious raspberry-ish, lemonade-ish cocktail.  And so began our introduction to drinking in New Orleans.

It turns out that apart from the standard legal-drinking-age of 21, there are virtually no other laws about drinking in NOLA.  Liquor stores and bars need never close.  Drinking in public is not only allowed, it's almost encouraged - drinks can be bought 'to go' at bars, as long as they are in plastic not glass.

...done that!

We walked along Bourbon St a couple of times - the full-on-party-bars-clubs street.  At night it was thumping… literally.  Even in the afternoon it was pumping.  We saw people getting kicked out or refused entry at 2pm.  Not really my scene, but an experience nonetheless.

We did try the famous 'Hurricanes' at Pat O'Brien's off Bourbon St.  Probably not something I'd order again, but once again, an experience!

We tested out the beignets (square-French-doughnuts) & café au lait at the famous Café du Monde, and later tried the beignets at Café Beignet - purely for scientific comparison purposes of course.  Both were pretty delicious.

We went uptown for crepes, ate gelato on Bourbon St, had fresh-squeezed margaritas with good mexican food, ate delicious bbq, and had a quiet drink in a cozy jazz bar (that's where I would hang out if I lived in NOLA, rather than Bourbon St).