something for everyone

Massanutten Travel Blog

Massanutten Resort, McGaheysville, VA in the Shenandoah Valley.

Been here twice, a different section each time and my sister stayed there too, so I’ve seen most of the different units.   This resort is somewhat cheap, although it has a high rating.  Cheaping out on little things like – no pens and paper in the units for taking notes on, no blow-dryers, no shampoo…..  It’s hard enough to pack for a trip by air nowadays, and going somewhere that you need swimwear and winter wear plus hairdryer, etc makes it very cumbersome.  I’ve been in some horrid hotels that offer shampoo, pens and paper and blow dryers, no plausible excuse for this in any resort.

I did snow tubing for the first time in my life (I;m over 50) and really enjoyed it. I grew up in the North and have done tobogganing, sledding and used saucers but not an inner tube!  It was worth it and the second time I did it again, but was sharper shopper.  They had a 2 for the price of one day!

I went to the indoor heated water park.  Loved the lazy river and enjoyed the slides as well, spent most of the day there, they also have a small restaurant on site, eat there while still in your swimwear.

The deer will come up to the units at dusk.  They are accustomed to folks tossing them bread, from balconies.  Do NOT mistake them for tame.  They have found an easy reliable food source, that is all.

On my 2nd trip there I took a private ski lesson.  I found I did not have the stamina or endurance to ski.  The hour lesson wore me flat out!  So I can say I have tried it, but don’t want to do it again!

On my 2nd trip I also took an introductory scuba lesson in their heated pool.  I thought I might panic trying to breathe underwater; it seemed too unnatural to not cause at least anxiety.  But no, not at all, it was so easy, so comfortable, not scary at all!  I learned so much in the short intro, but what I learned the most was that I want MORE!

The airport and commuter plane is a hoot.  The plane is the smallest commuter I’ve been on.  Sits maybe 10-12 folks.  No seat assignments.  You are told where to sit to make sure weight distribution on the plane is balanced!  There is no cockpit door, just a curtain our pilots left it open you could see all those dials lit up.  The flight attendant is a recording and the pilots are laid back and entertaining.  The arriving airport, well it is so small and homey it should have a St Bernard bound up to greet you!