Looks like we are camping

Salisbury Travel Blog

After driving forever and seeing the sun go down somewhere near Wilmington Delaware I was ready to pull off the road and get some sleep.  I had just received a gift certificate for Super 8 in the mail a few days prior.  This was Super 8 trying to make amends for the Phoenix Fiasco just three weeks prior.  Well we found a Super 8 that looked like it wasn’t that full and pulled in to ask about getting a room for the night.  When we walked into the lobby there was a man already at the window so we waited while he talked with the clerk.  He asked if they could rent a non-smoking room with two double beds and the clerk told him they had one left.  The man at the window asked him to hold the room until his friends got there and the clerk told him only if he paid right now.  Well the man didn’t want to pay at that point so he just stood at the window looking at my brother and me, and then called his friends on his phone.  Finally the clerk said I need to help these people and the man moved off to the side.  I told the clerk we wanted a non-smoking room with two beds, he looked at me and said the man that just moved away from the window wanted that room so we couldn’t have it despite the fact I was ready to buy the room right now.  The only other rooms they had were smoking rooms or rooms with single beds, so we asked if they had a cot and he said no.  We agreed to take a smoking room, but when it came time to pay they denied my gift certificate.

After another hour of searching for a hotel and not finding one we found a dark Wal-Mart parking lot to spend the next couple hours in.  By this time it was about 1am and I just wanted to sleep.  We set our alarms to wake us about at about 4am so we could get back on the road and then pulled our pillows and blankets out of the trunk, locked the doors, and tried to get some sleep.

Salisbury