Canaveral National Seashore

Titusville Travel Blog

The national seashore would be our last stop for the day, as we pulled into the park we saw a vulture or buzzard snacking on a poor little sea turtle.  As we drove along the road we noticed how vacant it was, we passed about three of four parking areas before we just pulled off to explore behind the dunes.  We parked the car and walked down a short boardwalk that led down to the beach.  My cousin and I were already dressed for the water but my brother was not, so my cousin and I walked closer to the waters edge than he did.  We stopped every now and then and picked among the numerous sea shells that had washed up on the shore line.  It was getting late so we started to walk back to the car and wipe off all the sand and find a bag for the shells we had just picked up.

After we started driving I noticed something in the road ahead because it was blocking my lane, I slowed the car because I realized it was an alligator.  The three of us all reached for our cameras as I inched the car forward so we could get the best possible picture of it.  The gator was very photogenic and then he slowly moved out of the road and we conitued to drive.

As we left the National seashore we drove down the road to a mantee lookout that we had passed on the way in.  I was excited about the prospect of seeing a manatee and when we walked up to the observation deck a man walked passed us and said there were about three or four mantees hiding in a corner at the other end of the outlook.  I had my camera at the ready and ended up taking pictures of many manatee tails, I did get a somewhat decent picture of a mother manatee and her calf swiming by the observation deck.

This is probably not a good sign
  We didnt spend a lot of time here because we were driven back to the saftey of the car by many biting insects.  Driving down the road further I noticed a black animal on the side of the road in the grass but by the time I had stopped and backed the car up it had taken off into the woods.  So I started driving again and saw three more black masses on the side of the road and this time I managed to stop the car next to them and not scare them off.  Those three black masses turned out to be five black wild pigs.  We took pictures of them until the car scared the baby pigs and the bigger pigs looked at us with an angry look.  The only other animals we saw were some big gators off in the water and some birds.

We stopped to buy gas at a gas station that was seilling Mariboros I though the mis-spelling was funny si I snapped a picture and after agetting a full tank of gas we headed back to Orlando.

A big manatee and a baby manatee