Blue Spring State Park

Orange City Travel Blog

My cousin had told us he would like to explore one of the natural springs in Florida before he moved away.  We looked online and went to a visitors center and had found one that was not too far away and we could visit the spring and actually spend some time there and still have time to do something else as well.  We settled on Blue Spring and set it as a stop on the new map software I had just bought a few weeks prior.  By the time we arrived at the spring I had seen a flash of lightning off in the distance and I was hoping to get near some open water to get some pictures of a Florida thunderstorm but I would be out of luck.  We paid admission to the park and drove to the parking lot for the spring and as we were half way up the board walk that takes you around the spring it started to down pour like crazy.
  It really looked like we were in Jurassic Park for awhile, but since we had taken cover under a gazebo on the board walk I had missed out on pictures of lightning.  The storm didnt lat long and after we had felt it moved a safe distance away we headed back to the car and grabbed towels and diving masks so that we could go fo a swim.  The spring boasts of manatees but apparently they only show up in the winter months.  We didnt find that out untill after we got to the park.  While my brother sat on a picnic bench near the gift shop my cousin and I went swiming in the springs and the water was fairly cold.  I couldnt helpe notice the watch for aligator signs they had posted everywhere but the ranger said they usually show up when the manatees do.  After swiming for about an hour we dried off and decided to move on to out next destination.
Thunderstorm moving in