Adventures in Picking up Rental Cars

Manchester Travel Blog

It was about that time.  It was time to head over the Manchester to pick up the rental car so we could get this party started!   My cousin drove me to Manchester New Hampshire's regional airport where my car rental company was located.  Still fresh in my mind was the disaster in Phoenix but I thought I had all my bases covered this time.  If you are all wondering what happened in Phoenix, feel free to check out my Phoenix blog.  To make a long story short we ordered a rental car, pre-paid for the rental car, were denied the rental car, and then finally got another rental car.

The line was short at the rental car counter so I was standing in front of an agent fairly quickly, he found my reservations with no problems and he said I just need to see your license and card you reserved the car with.

The begining of the rental car drama
  I pulled them out of my wallet and handed them over, and he looked at the card and I knew at that moment there would be a problem.  He told me because I was paying with a debit card he needed to see my return flight information.  I told him I am not flying, I am driving and that’s when he informed me he could not rent me a car unless I had a credit card.  That would have been nice to know when I made the reservations!  He directed me to another rental car company and they wanted almost 750 dollars which is twice my original car rental price.

Well I attempted to remain calm and I called Orbitz and a very nice employee spent over an hour on the phone with me trying to find me a car rental company that fit my budget, and didn’t have crazy rules about using debit cards.  Finally he found one, the one drawback is I have to wait until tonight to pick it up.  I don’t care if I have to wait a few more hours since it doesn’t affect our schedule negatively, but I will not book another car rental through Orbitz ever again.

rdog980 says:
I officially hate Orbitz
Posted on: Apr 29, 2010

We arrived back in Manchester to pick up a rental car, my hopes were not high that I would be successful in doing so.  I walked up to the rental counter as the attendant was leaving for the night, so I had to walk out to the parking garage.  Luckily my rental car company was the first one as you walked into the garage.  I walked into the booth gave them my name and she pulled up my reservation and then came the moment of license and card please.  I handed her my card, the same card that I was assured by Orbitz would be accepted, and for the second time today I got that look of "what the hell is this".  The attendant looked at me and said "I don’t think this is going to work", I told her it was a debit card and Orbitz said this company accepts debit cards, after going back and forth on this issue she decided to run the card to see if it would work.

I wanted to do back flips of joy when she told me it would be accepted, but not only would I have injured myself it would of been premature.  There were a series of small problems that followed, and then finally the moment I had been waiting for she handed me the paperwork and said "you are all set, your car is in stall number 10".  I walked out to stall number 10 and there was no car so I figured it was just parked in the wrong spot, so I looked around at the different license plates and my car was nowhere to be found.  The attendant called me back and said they had already rented that car so I had to go through the whole process again, and after all that I FINALLY got a rental car!

Now that we have the rental car we should be starting our drive to Florida, which means I should not be here at a computer writing this blog until tomorrow.  Well because it took so long trying to pick up the rental car my brother could not make it to pick up his paycheck.  Now we are stuck in New Hampshire until tomorrow morning when I get to fight morning rush hour traffic in Boston to take him to get his check, and then maybe then we can start our trip to Florida.

The begining of the rental car dra…
The begining of the rental car dr…
Try Number 2 for a rental car, not…
Try Number 2 for a rental car, no…
Manchester General Tips & Advice review
Terms and conditions for rental cars
If you are planning to rent a car at Manchester Regional Airport in Manchester in New Hampshire make sure you read carefully all the terms and conditi… read entire review
Manchester