great restaurant

Jacksonville Travel Blog

Jacksonville, Fl  May 2008

Mothers Day weekend

This was an unusual do nothing trip for me.  I had a good travel companion.

We stayed at the hotel except for one trip out to find a restaurant (unsuccessfully) that was affordable without a long wait.  Did see the Jax blue bridge at night.   Thankfully, the hotel was all we could have ever needed.  Although it was early May, the unheated pool was still acceptable.  To our delight, we discovered the hotel had two buffets daily.  Extraordinary buffets, better, more diverse and superior food to any buffet I’d previously experienced.  I was happy to indulge and taste foods I’d never order by the plate, because I would not know if I’d like them.  I hate to pay for new foods and find them distasteful, so buffets that can introduce me to foods are fabulous.  I had red and black caviar.  Not something I’d order on my own, but know now it is palatable.  Also had smoke salmon – the whole fish.  (I know I sound small town, but I’ve never seen this before.)  Apparently it’s a very costly item to produce.  They had prime rib, all sorts of shell fish, from crab legs to mussels.

The breakfast was awesome too.  A huge amount and variety of food, all excellent.

Spent the days going to breakfast, pool, room, pool, room, pool and room then dinner and more pool.  It was great and very restful.  The rooms could have been nicer and a bit cleaner, but the pool and the food made up for it.

We were staying at the Ramada Conference Center Mandarin; 3130 Hartley Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32257 US