The Houston Arboretum

Houston Travel Blog

What started off as a rainy day, and feeling lazy, I decided to take my mother to the Houston Arboretum. While living in Illinois years ago, we used to goto the one outside Chicago, The Morton Arboretum. I knew she would love it because my mom is a nature person, me on the other hand, not particularly a fan of it...however I figured it would be a nice change from my normal pace of life.

As we arrived, I was thrilled it was free admittance (unlike the Morton Arboretum). When we parked it was just starting to rain a bit harder, so I was feeling skeptical of walking around outside. However I sucked it up and went out into the paths.

It was fantastic, after realizing how peaceful and secluded it was I felt that we were nowhere near Houston, let alone near the center of the Galleria.
The trees provided lots of cover so we had nothing to worry about with the rain, it just added to the lovely outdoors giving everything a misty haze.

There are lots of different trails to take so we went on the shortest one to start with given we didn't know how the weather was going to take. And we discovered lots of marshes, wildflowers, turtles, and the best was walking through tons of spider webs, which screams were to follow. The trails intertwine with each other, so you can go on several different paths to make it feel like you are discovering a new area at each turn.

Lots of walking and talking, my mom and I had a fantastic time being alone in the "forest". No cars, music, cell phones, or other people to disturb us, I felt mentally refreshed at the end of our little adventure. Then with a quick whisk away in the car, we were in Uptown Park surrounded by posh eateries to have a nice lunch to wrap up our morning.

The Arboretum provided a nice change and a thrill to discover what felt like a hidden area of Houston.
Blue Bonnets, Texas state flower