Arrival-KLIA

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

Our flight was safely landed at Kuala Lumpur International Airport, after quite a few bumpy ride on its way to KLIA. It was early morning, most shops won't open until 10am, so I chose to catch an airport coach to the KL city. It double the time of KLIA ekspres but less than 1/3 of its price. Again I went smoothly though custom. I have seen somewhere in the internet says Malaysians are very friendly and helpful people. Not all Malaysian I met in Australia are like that. I was curious how they are in KL. The Muslin custom lady, who gave me the frown beaurocratic look, but checked though my card and stamped, then told me ok to pass.

I thought there will be other checks like in Australia, but to my surprise I just passed through without being stopped by anyone. Interesting thing I found in Malaysia is their English spelling as the Euro English way. Restaurant is spelt as Restoran, Express is spelt as ekspres, Station is spelt as Stesen etc. Although they have signs everywhere, it's still not so easy to find where the bus terminal for the 1st time traveller like me. I went to the info counter and asked one guy who's reading newspaper and half-waked up. Then walked along the way as he advised, I found quite a few buses. To my surprise, the lndian lady in an ticket booth was very friendly and pointed out the other counter to buy airport to city transfer ticket. Then another Muslin lady who sell the ticket was not so friendly.
Well, I thought sometimes when people act overfriendly, make you more cautious. At least they show their true colour, which makes you feel that's who they are. From there, I caught the green airport coach to KL Sentral. A Malay guy on the bus was asking me something in Malay language, which I don't understand. But I think he was asking me something like giving him some money to make phone call or asked me if he can use my cellphone. I told him that I don't understand what he talks about and he does not speak English, then he went back to his seat. The hostel owner told me to catch monorail from KL Sentral. But the area was having some construction and redevelopment work, the original short cut was barricaded. Although I can see the monorail over the other side, I couldn't find the way to cross over.
I had a few attempt to walk around, none were successful to reach there. The weather was boiling hot and humid, like in oven. I went to an info counter to ask a Malay staff about the direction. I gave him pen and paper and asked him to draw the direction. Then according to his map, I have to walk back to the bus stop that I got off, but then I was not clear how to walk from there to the monorail station. He didn't give me a clear direction. I was wondering around, and met another Malay guy who looked at my confused face, smiled and pointed out the way to get out to the main road. Then I followed him and asked him the direction, he's not sure himself and rang his friend, then he told me just go straight along the road will find the station at opposite side. Finally I took the monorail to Bukit Bintang station which is very closed to the hostel that I booked. It seems like a good spot with lots of department stores around and flashy neonlights, always full of crowds. Surely I won't get bored, just need a deep pocket.

petronas twin tower

My hostel check in time was 1pm, so I left my bag there and walking towards Petronas Twin Tower. It was so tall that you can see it almost everywhere, but I just don't know how to walk there. I've seen lots of people ignored traffic just crossed road as they want, and vice versa when the pedestrian walking light is on, Taxi and car don't care. It's really challenging to cross the busy road there at the beginning. After a few attempts following the locals, I got used to it. Back home in China, we used to cross road like that, but haven't done such thing for a long time, kind forget how to do it. I took the monorail to Bukit Nanas station, and then walked to a tourist office got a city map, it seems the twin tower is very close. I saw lots of official visitor showed their id/pass at the counter.

But I couldn't find place where they give out ticket to ordinary visitors. I heard the tickets were free but you have to be there as early as 8am. I was there around 9:15am, according to the direction of the sign, I have to going down. It's bit tricky there're 2 going-up escalators, but can't find the one going down. Another downwards escalator was to KLCC Suria Plaza. It took me a while to locate the downwards escalator. When I get down, I saw there's a long queue no less than the people in peak hour airport check-in area. I was excited that finally I found the place, unfortunately the guard put the stop sign saying something like there's no more ticket for today. Bummer! Oh well, no luck for me to get up the tower. So I just wondering around KLCC plaza, most of shops were not open yet. I heard from the internet that there's hair salon on the top level of the plaza, where the owner used to cut lots of celebrities in London include Spice girls.
So I decided to give a shot, but the fee they charge for a female haircut only is out of my budget. So I had a senior hairstylist cut instead. When she gave me some recommendations and advice, I felt she quite spot the point. But after a few trims and quick job done. I felt my hair style didn't change as much as expected. When I get back to work, nobody realize that I've had haircut. I reckon most clothes shops in KLCC Suria are not cheap even converted to Australian dollars. I wonder how much the income average Malaysian earns, or is it because it's next to the tourist spot-petronas tower.

I walked through the tunnel and crossed a couple of street and reach the Pavillion Plaza, which is pretty modern furbished.

Twin tower at night
Had a few look around the shops there, also not cheap. Maybe they're the high end shopping area. It's too hot to walk outside, most of the time I was in air condition operated shopping plaza/department stores.  Later of the day, I went to Lot 10, BB plaza, Sungei Wang plaza around Bukit bintang area. Lots of the toilets inside the plaza are required to pay 30cents, and there was a Muslin lady sits at front entrance to collect fees. That's a good way to make money especially the toilet near the food court. They do have free toilet inside plaza, but not as many as the chargeable ones. I even saw a girl's job was counting how many people use the free toilet, I wonder if they're going to make that free toilet chargeable if they think it's profitable.  You can bargain at some shops inside Sungei Wang plaza. Lots of imitation branded purses and bags are sold there.
Often there're some singers or film stars use the stage inside the plaza to do some promotion and autograph. When I was wondering around inside the plaza, a Muslin lady dragged my arm and put some cream on my arms, which kind freak me out. She's trying to persuade me to buy the cream, and gave me her sales pitch as lots of Chinese bought the cream, it can cure scars/acnes/anti-aging, she then showed me some computer edited pictures to demonstrate how effective it works. She told me to keep quiet and she'll give me 30% discount if I buy 4 pack(every pack has 3 jars). Lot of the guys on her end saw me not have much reaction, they shift to speak Japanese and then Korean. It took me quite a while to get away from them without buying any cream. At night, I walked back from Bukit Bintang to the twin tower again to check out its night scene. When I got there, it started to rain...

Entrance of Pavilion
Entrance of Pavilion
An Indie band performed at the tra…
An Indie band performed at the tr…