Matchsticks and quilts

Gladbrook Travel Blog

We were on the road again this morning by 9:10 am. Headed west again and towards Waterloo we saw a sign that read "Cedar Rock by Frank Lloyd Wright" just 7 miles off the highway, so we decided to try finding it.  The signs lead us right to the entry gate where a registration center was located and a tram would take you to the home itself. Fom this point you couldn't actually see it.  But one problem,  the gate was half closed and a sign read "Closed".  Twenty minutes wasted.

On to our first stop, a place in Gladbrook called Matchstick Marvels.

Patrick Acton has created some amazing things from match sticks.  We arrived shortly after 11 am and read the sign on the door that said "Hours 1 pm til 5 pm daily"  But fortunately for us there was someone there to allow us in along with another couple.  The minimal entry cost of $3 was so well worth looking around, and I took so many pictures.  I hope you like them as much as I did taking them.

Gladbrook is part of Grundy County, which has a special draw for people that we didn't know about until we lucked into seeing part of it.  My wife is a quilt maker and the many barns around this county have a quilt block painted on the side.  Now these are not small sized but more like ten or fifteen foot square, and each is different.  We did luck into stopping at a gas station, fast food, and gift shop that turned out to be the welcome center for the county and we found a brochure that told of the 60 barns and even had a map.  It would have taken all day to maybe see most of them, so we settled for the few that we had gotten and were thrilled to be able to see them.  We also passed an old building that looked like a barn but had lots of interior cross beams but no exterior siding.  If anyone can tell me what it was, please do.

This photo of the USS Iowa shows h…
This photo of the USS Iowa shows …
Gladbrook Sights & Attractions review
Amazing but in a very small town.
This amazing museum of the work of Patrick Acton is such a wonderful place to visit. Patrick glues regular wooden matchsticks together into some of th… read entire review
Gladbrook