AsiaJapanAmi

Hiro's party and a summer festival

Ami Travel Blog

I went to my second party at Hiro’s and I had a wonderful time. Hiro is a student of the company that I work for and he hosts a party at his house once every two or three months. The parties are a wonderful time to use what little Japanese that I know. Of course the food was great and there was a ton of it; cheese sticks, spaghetti, salad, fried chicken, and even more. After we finished eating, the women started doing some traditional Japanese dancing.

The best part was having the ladies at the party help Andrea, Jana, Beth, and I into our Yukata. It was a sight to see; four American girls trying to figure out how to put on the Yukata (is it right over left or left over right?) and then the five or six Japanese ladies trying to figure out the best way to tie our bows at the back of the Yukata. I think that the ladies enjoyed helping us out and I know that we loved having them help us out.

Trying to tie the bow. There are many different ways to tie a yukata bow

Once we were all in the Yukata Kevin took a ton of pictures. Just a side note: most of the pictures are pictures that Kevin or Kate took.

We left for the Edosaki festival a little while after getting dressed. It was my first festival and I really enjoyed it. There was a parade of wooden floats, which had musicians sitting on the inside of it. Then the people below the float would push it in a circle so it was twirling while the musicians were playing. Now this was not an easy task because the floats were huge, made out of solid wood, and had a bunch of people sitting on them. After the twirling was done the people who were spinning the float would push it off to the side to make room for the next float and then collapse to the ground and drink some beer or something refreshing.

What was also great about the festival was that many of Jana’s students were there and they were able to come up to her and talk to her in English. She doesn’t see her students around Ami too much because she teaches in Miho and lives in Ami so that is a bike ride for her students.

My favorite part of the festival was the people watching and the food. I had a chocolate covered banana, caramel corn, and some of Jana’s Yaki Soba. I really do love the food at festivals.
melissak says:
Love the yukatas! I went to a festival similar to that in Shobara, it's really cool getting to wear them out and little festivals are a great way to see Japan off the beaten track, don't you think?
Posted on: Nov 11, 2007
Trying to tie the bow. There are m…
Trying to tie the bow. There are …
The wonderful ladies who helped us