AsiaJapanNikko

Hiking in Nikko

Nikko Travel Blog

Jana and I got up, ate breakfast, and caught a bus for the top of mountain so we could do some hiking. I don’t like heights but what I hate more then heights in charter busses that go up switch back mountain roads that are rather small. Jana and I clutched each other’s hands at a couple of points because it looked like we were going to fall off the mountain. Luckily our driver knew what he was doing and we were ok.

The first sight we saw when we got up to the mountain was two monkeys climbing on the tops of the buildings. Nikko has wild monkeys that run around, sit in the hot springs, and climb on the buildings. There are signs everywhere that say “Don’t feed the monkeys”.

Jana and I spent the entire day hiking up in Nikko. We followed one of the better known trails that lead us to see two amazing waterfalls and a couple of the mountains. The area was beautiful; we hiked through some woods, marsh, and along a river for a while. Jana’s line of the day was “This is so beautiful.”

After we finished our hike we caught a bus back down to the main area and checked out the final waterfall for the day and then it was back to the hotel. We discovered on our journey that Nikko shuts down at 5:00pm and nothing is open…NOTHING! So we took out our cards and played a game of cribbage and gin rummy before going to bed.

Tomorrow we head home.

Junko says:
I love hiking in Nikkou! There are some hiking trails around mountains and a lake. I like to hear and see the streams and waterfall during hiking!
Posted on: Jun 16, 2007