AutoBaaaaaahnnnn2Prague

Prague Travel Blog

We will be here for three days. Grandpa Bill says he liked the other places better; he is most interested in WWII history. Another likely cause: Grandpa was pick-pocketed on the subway, fifteen seconds after we boarded. We went back to the hotel immdiately, where we notified the police what had happened. A couple of hours later, the hotel staff were notified that the wallet had been recovered by a subway maid. We were told to meet at a particular stop on the subway to retrieve it. It seemed very suspicious to me at the time, but we had no other options.

The taxi took us there and, because he was probably embarrassed by the behavior of his countrymen, took no money for the fair when we described what had happened. When we got the subway station, I told Grandpa to stay in the car and hold my wallet and other valuables; I was preparing for anything, really. It smelled like some sort of trap, the way we were told to go about getting Grandpa's wallet back. I went down into the subway, taking ten Czech Koruns for a tip. I found the lady, who spoke no English whatsoever, and she gave me back the wallet. It had all its pictures, coupons, and accessories stuck in the bill fold, sans any cash or cards. I tried to gesture to the woman I was grateful, and gave her the ten-Korun tip. It all could have been worse.

The next day, Grandpa was too upset to leave the hotel, so I traveled Prague alone on foot, climbing hills, sightseeing towers, and visiting a cafe at the Beethoven museum. The next day, I devised a thief-proof way to travel the subways, and so Grandpa came with me to the modern art museum. He told me: "Today, you're the boss. I will go anywhere you want to go." This was the last day of our trip.
Prague