Watching the Worldcup at work

Tilburg Travel Blog

Watching the Dutch team playing in the World Soccer Cup while being at work (Tilburg, The Netherlands)

The Dutch all love soccer (or football, I have no idea what the correct English term is), especially when the Dutch team is playing in an international tournament. Since the matches the Dutch team had to play in the World Soccer Cup in South Africa had mainly been planned in the middle of the afternoon, most people either took the afternoon off from work, or watched the game at work.

At June 28th the Dutch played against Slovakia and I too had the opportunity to watch the match at work. It was a bit of a stiff and timid experience (I was the only one with orange accessories), but I suppose that was because nobody dared to assume our team was going to win. It had been a long time since our team had made it to the quarter final!

The streets had been decorated with orange flags for weeks, Dutch flags had been waving from just about every random car, but somehow nobody thought the Dutch team would stand a serious chance. But they did win, and a huge frenzy hit our country.

For those of you wondering why the Dutch wear orange as a national colour: the last name of our royal family is Oranje (which means Orange). Both Dutch and English words stand for the colour. The first king of The Netherlands was William of Orange and the current queen and future king of theNetherlandshave the same last name since they are descendants of this first king.

Watching the Dutch team playing in…
Watching the Dutch team playing i…
Tilburg