Waking up in Bavaria
Deggendorf Travel Blog› entry 6 of 7 › view all entries
Well, it wasnâ€™t raining when we woke up. Thatâ€™s a start.
The NH provided a nice breakfast of fruit, yogurt, eggs, sausage, cereal, and much more.
After checking out, while walking to the car, we were astonished by the view in front of us. I never tire of the beautiful scenery that Europe provides. There were Baroque spires in front and to the left of our hotel. We were in Bavariaâ€¦â€¦of course the town was quaint.
We decided to drive through Deggendorf and see what it had to offer.
Deggendorf, is on the Danube River and is at the western foot of the Bavarian and Bohemian Forests. It was founded in 750 and was passed to the Dukes of Bavaria in 1242.
From 1242 to 1246, the two most significant families with large possessions became extinct. Both, the Babenberger and the Counts of Bogen were succeeded by the Wittelsbacher which made Deggendorf a city of the Wittelsbacher. They promoted the city through privileges of economic and legal type and fortified the city walls.
In 1316, the widow of Duke Otto III, Agnes, accorded Deggendorf the municipal law. Since the legal validity of their city status was put into question, the citizenry was jointly confirmed again in 1320 by the three reigning Dukes Henry XIV, Otto IV, and Henry XV. This municipal law allowed for an autonomous administration, an unbelievable privilege.
In 1338, the construction of the Grabkirche, "Peter and Paul" began. The Munich based builder Johann Michael Fischer built the Baroque tower from 1722 - 1727.
We drove through the city center and marveled at some of the intact Medieval architecture. Colorful details abound in this fantasyland of buildings. On the square, we parked the car and walked around. There was a flower and vegetable market in progress. In the middle of the market, there is an impressive town hall with a lofty Gothic tower dating from about 1380.
Remnants of the medieval town fortifications are still visible in the form of a section of the old town wall with a walkway along the top of the battlements. many of the large houses that once belonged to Deggendorf's wealthier citizens are now listed buildings. The elaborate facades and splendid stucco work convey a vivid idea of what the town looked like in the latter half of the nineteenth century. The two main churches, the Parish Church - dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary - and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, dominate the town's skyline, together with the tower of the Town Hall.
What a nice morningâ€™s walk around a beautiful Bavarian town. It was now time to go. We had 9-10 hours to drive