Plans after gold coast.

Surfers Paradise Travel Blog

I'm heading down to Nimbin for the festival at the end of the month. I'm trying to get there for next thursday, and stay through monday or tuesday but it all depends on a lot of things; namely, transportation and destination.

I'm in the beginning stages of finding a company that rents caravans; basically, a VW bus with two sets of camping gear. They're quite popular here, and at $15-25 p/day I can see why. I can't find a hostel for that cheap, and add in the fact that I have transportation AND I can sleep in it? It's perfect. If I can do that, then I'll probably head up to Cairns and see what kind of job I can find and what I can do. (I was told that I would be a great candidate for working in the mines, up near Cairns. Because of my experience in the navy and at the power plants I'd have no trouble being hired in, or so I was told. There seems to be a shortage of "monkey mates" around. I don't know if I want to do, or even try for that matter; for the simple reason that I just don't want to work in heavy industry anymore. But, at around $150k per year and citizenship/permanent residency after 3 years...that is quite the incentive package in my book.

Well, enough of that, eh? We'll move on to the heart of the topic today: Physical Activity and Beliefs of the Australian Culture, and let me just say that it is a far-cry from those of my home country.

Over the past month, I have noticed more and more, that many Australian families exercise together. Or rather, are active together. So many parents with their children, or dad and son/mother and daughter, or any other combination are out riding bikes, playing catch, jogging, playing rugby and/or football, and many other heart-rate-inducing sweat-production activity. I've heard a dad tell his son that his lunch break is almost over and they need to head back, so they turned around on their bikes and went back the way they came. The mentality and dedication to physical fitness is instilled from a young age and carries over into adult life, perpetuating itself. And I find that amazing.

It's not exactly rare in the US, to see families out for a mid-day bike ride during the summer. But here, it is just more pronounced; because they're everywhere and not intermitent. This may be part of the explanation for the lack of rampant obesity within the general society; walking down the any of the streets that I've visited, you will see only the occasional person with a glandular disorder or some other medical condition. All that I am saying is that the average Australian citizen has less girth than the average American citizen, and I think that this is because physical fitness and physical activity are part of daily life to Australian children. They grow up doing it and it is a way of life, and I think that this is very beneficial to the Australian society as a whole.

On a different note, I've noticed a lot of "locals" don't wear shoes. Or sandals, very often - the feet I've had the displeasure of noticing were quite the worse for wear. Not that they were hideous and I almost turned to stone grotesque, but just a sort of "Hey man, you might want to get that checked out. And there's  place accross the street that sells thongs for $5." - 'thongs' are Australian-speak for flip-flops, or sandles. I've heard it said that it's very Australian to not wear shoes, and right after that I started noticing that there are no "No shirt. No shoes. No service" signs anywhere. It's was more of a "No shirt. No shoes. No worries, mate" type of mentality. And again, I find myself admiring the culture and mentality of this country. Such dedication to be so layed back, and they really have it down to a science.