AsiaJapanShibuya

world's busiest crosswalk

Shibuya Travel Blog

Hachi statue

We took the train to Shibuya because I wanted to see the world’s busiest cross-walk.  First we stopped to see the statue of Hachi - the dog who faithfully met his owner at the train station every day after work, even after his master died.  And then we watched the cross walk.  Wow, was that amazing.  Hundreds of people crossed when the light changed.  There were about 6 different cross walks and the intersection just looked like a solid mass of people during crossing.  Where did everyone come from and where were they all going that so many people were crossing every minute?  We crossed during the next light and just got swept along.  Crazy.

We were planning on walking to the next train stop up, Harajuku, which is a really popular place for teens, shopping and people watching.  On the way, we passed a building where a fire had just been put out, so that was interesting.  Harajuku is maybe a little more “hip”, which is why Miwako likes it more.  And I became acquainted with the Japanese fashions, which are not my own.

worlds busiest crosswalk