people watching and Pachinko

Harajuku Travel Blog

some of the fashions

We walked around a very crowded Harajuku and took in the fashions.  Many girls wear really short, short skirts or shorts, with knee socks or leggings and frilly shirts.  And it seems they all have tall heels on.  This was also where I saw the most non-Japanese looking people, except maybe in Miyajima later.  We stopped for some crepes, which are very popular here.  This area was also a busy as the park, with wall to wall people all moving along.  It was nearly impossible to stop or cross the traffic to a store on the other side.  We looped around and stopped in a store to use the rest rooms.  As we came out, we saw 5 or 6 girls walk by wearing short, pink, frilly dresses with big curls in their hair, big, pink bows on their heads, and tall white knee socks.  They looked like Alice in Wonderland.

Me and Miwako eating crepes
  And they were about 15-20 years old.  Hmmm, interesting.

We stopped at a tourist shop so I could get my souvenirs out of the way, then worked our way to the train station and Ginza to meet her parents for dinner.  She had a train pass I could use so I didn’t need tickets, so that was nice.  We were a little early for dinner, so we stopped by the Pachinko Parlor.  We each put in 1,000 Yen (about $10) and played.  It is a little like pinball, where little silver balls shoot out and you try to direct them into the slot to win.  If you win, little balls drop out into your tray.  Since, gambling is illegal in Japan, you can’t cash them in where you play.  Instead you take your balls to another Pachinko place and “sell” them back.  I won some, but not enough to cash in, so I just kept playing.  It is mostly men that play Pachinko, but it was fun to try.

street performer
street performer
cute little store on corner
cute little store on corner
I didnt see these kinds inside
I didn't see these kinds inside
tourists learning about the store