AsiaJapanTokyo

Dinner at Shinagawa Station

Tokyo Travel Blog

rice paddies

We arrived in Tokyo around 8 pm and met with Miwako.  She took us to a restaurant near the station so everyone could experience a meal as a local might.  Miwako explained that this week was when school had ended and new graduates just started new jobs.  Groups of coworkers went out to celebrate, so the station and restaurants were all full of people in business clothes.  We had a short wait, but were soon seated in a back room where the tables are low.  Rather than sitting on pillows, we had recessed benches.  Miwako took care of the ordering for us.  We sampled several different dishes and my uncle even tried his first sushi.  We were all a little travel weary and still had a good hour to get back to the base.  I felt bad that Miwako came all the way over to meet us and we were so tired and not very hungry.

After dinner, we said goodbye to Miwako and we got on a train headed for Yokosuka, where my cousin lived on base.  We got there late and had a very long walk to their apartment where we all promptly crashed for the night.

sitting at our low table