A Nice Small Town

Brugge Travel Blog

Market Square

I started out the day, with a walk to Market Square. I could hear the church bells ringing, giving that old town feel. Once at the square, I looked for a place to grab something to eat. I stopped by a cafe, to try the Dream Waffle, which was 2 scoops of ice cream and syrup on the waffle. While I did enjoy eating it, but did not like the fact that it cost 11 euros. I did not feel so good, spending that much money, just like that.

I started the tour at Market Square, and looked around. The architecture of the buildings does feel like I am stepping back in time. Afterwards, I went to the bell tower, where I learned that 2 sides of the view are closed off. I passed on it at first, since I did not think it was worth the price of admission for partial views.

So I went to Burg Square, with more impressive architecture. I visited the Basilica of the Holy Blood, which has 2 chapels, located at the corner of the square.

Burg Square
I went to the lower chapel first, then to the upper chapel. More about the chapels in the Basilica of the Holy Blood, in the review here.

I went to the City Hall, and learned about the museum pass. It sounded like a good deal, but the place did not accept credit card. But the bell tower did. I exited and went to some place to use a computer quickly. Then to the Belfry of Bruges, where I did buy the museum pass. And changed my mind, deciding to go to the top of the bell tower. More about it in the review here.

I climbed the stairs, which needless to say, was very tiring, and never seem to end. I did make some stops along the way, in spots where there were displays. I did make it to the top, and saw that 2 sides were indeed, closed off.
view of Bruges
And there was not much space for the sides that were open, as half of the area was closed. But I was treated with views of Bruges.

I went back down, which was not as hard. Then to Burg Square, and inside the Renaissance Hall. I picked up the audioguide and listened as I looked at the woodcarving statue above the fireplace, and the paintings of relatives around the room, among a few other things on the mantel. Photography was not allowed, but an interesting place to see.

Next, I went to the Crowne Plaza Hotel, and went downstairs, which had archaeological ruins of what used to be a fort. Then walked around town, crossing over a canal, then following it, as I was admiring the medieval appearance of the area. Like being in a theme park, except that this is the real thing. I did reach a spot, dubbed as the "postcard view" by a guidebook.
canal
Couldn't argue with that, as the spot is really nice to see.

I went to the Groeninge Museum (review here), which has Flemish art from the 1400's. Then I went to the Memling Museum (review here), which has religious art by Flemish artists. After that, it was to the Church of Our Lady (review here), a huge church and very cold inside. More about these places in their individual reviews.

I went to the Begijnhof next. Getting there was a bit of a challenge, as not all streets have signs, and some change along the way without warning. I did find it, which was like the one in Amsterdam, where women lived, who devoted their lives to God without taking vows that nuns would.
canal
This one was more open space, as I walked around it. I left and walked around a pond, as the area nearby reeked very badly, that I had to hold my nose.

I went back to the hostel, and saw that it was empty. I was the only person there at the time, and had one of the rooms to myself. I guess this time of year, it is only busy during the weekend. It did feel a little weird, but I'm not complaining. More about this hostel in the review here.

I went back out, as it got dark. I passed by some chocolate shops as they were closing up for the day. I browsed but did not buy anything. And I stopped by a cafe to try a Belgian waffle with chocolate syrup on it. Very good! After that, I did part of the walking tour backwards, at night. I walked along the canal, seeing the town in a different way. It did have its own charm, as the place was very quiet. So I did have the place to myself at some point, walking to Burg Square and Market Square.

I returned to the hostel, and relaxed the rest of the night.

sweettangerine says:
Sorry to say you got ripped off for the waffle and ice cream. Shouldn't have cost more than about 7 euro max. Unless it was at a really posh place?
Posted on: Aug 13, 2010
WalterC says:
I did enjoy the town, but a day was enough for me.
Posted on: Jul 20, 2010
Vikram says:
BTW, you spent just 1 day in Bruges. WHY WHY WHY?! It needs 2 days at least.
Posted on: Jul 20, 2010
alleyway from Burg Square
Fish Market
Fish Market
postcard view
sitting along canal (& freezing)
sitting along canal (& freezing)
bridge over canal
bridge over canal
canal going under building
canal going under building
gate
gate
entry to bridge over canal
entry to bridge over canal
organ and nave inside Church of Ou…
organ and nave inside Church of O…
chapel inside Church of Our Lady
chapel inside Church of Our Lady
statues in nave area inside Church…
statues in nave area inside Churc…
pulpit in Church of Our Lady
canal at night
Bruges at night
Bruges at night
Nice museum
The Groeninge Museum, located near the street of the same name, is an art museum that houses a collection of Flemish Primitives paintings, including s… read entire review
Nice artwork in museum
Once known as St. John’s Hospital during the Middle Ages, it is now the Memling Museum, containing the Flemish Primitives artwork of Hans Memling. … read entire review
Definitely see
A huge church in the town of Bruges, the Church of Our Lady is a nice place to see some wonderful church art. The highlight in this place, is the … read entire review
Brugge Hostels review
Very basic, but cheap and great location
Close to the main square in the small town of Bruges, the Passage Hotel and Hostel Bruges is a good cheap option to stay at. Not really sure of the ex… read entire review
Brugge Sights & Attractions review
Going up and down to see the difference
Located in Burg Square, the Basilica of the Holy Blood was originally built in the 12th century, and consists of 2 different chapels. They could not l… read entire review
Brugge Sights & Attractions review
Worth the workout to the top
Located by Market Square, the Belfry of Bruges is a bell tower, and the tallest building in town. Also called the Belfort, it dates back to around 124… read entire review
Brugge