Smurfing Through Museums

Brussels Travel Blog

my first look at Brussels

I slept during half of the train journey, and no idea when I crossed the border into Belgium. Once again, no passport check.

I arrived, and looked for the lockers, to store my backpack. When I found them, they would cost 3 euros, but I did not have exact change. Rather than scrambling to break a big bill, I just decided to carry it around. It would definitely make things more difficult.

I tried to figure my way around, as I looked for the museums. I stopped by a hotel for directions and a map. They showed me how to get there, and I followed them, leading me uphill through a park. I went to a cobblestone street, to Place Royale, which I thought was the museum. But it wasn't, and it took a little while for me to find it.

When I did find it, I would stand in a slow line.

view of Brussels
I got a combo ticket in the Royal Museums of Fine Arts, which had a museum for ancient and modern art. I went to the ancient part first, then to the modern part. More about it in the review here.

After the museum, I walked down the hill, passing the garden square, or whatever it is called, and stopped by a visitor center, as I was going to the Belgian Comic Strip Center. I got the directions, and went through the mall hallway, which looked like some passageway to some palace. As I went through it, there was a marching band that passed by. I stopped to see. After they passed, I went through the mall, and on my way to the museum.

Getting there was challenging, as not every intersection has street signs, and street names can change without notice.
street in Brussels
I did get there, and went in. One of the things I would see, is a baby Smurf statue. Then paid admission and toured the museum.

The museum is mainly about the history of comics in Belgium, and the popular characters from them. I was given an English tour book, to tour the museum, as most of it is in French or Dutch. Now, I am not sure if I would recommend this place to the average tourist.

For me, I just had to see the Smurfs exhibit. The Smurfs made their debut in the 1950's, created by Peyo. They became well-known when it became a cartoon series by Hanna-Barbera in the 80's. Having grown up on the Smurfs in the 1980's, as I would get up early Saturday mornings, and quickly turn on the TV, and the Smurfs were on. There is the mushroom home and some drawings of the Smurfs, along with the cage that Gargamel used to imprison them and the flute from the movie "The Smurfs and the Magic Flute".
me with Baby Smurf
(Now, I know none of them are actually real, but still, just reliving my childhood).

After seeing the Comic Strip Center, I was heading back and got lost along the way. I ended up being near a supermarket and a place to call home, which I did. Plus at the market, I was able to get some items at cheap prices. Then I headed to Central Station. This was the day focused mainly on the museums, since they are all closed on Monday, which would be the only other day I would be in Brussels.

I bought a ticket to Bruges, and had to wait a little while. When the time came, I hopped on, and on my way. The ride would take about an hour, and I arrived in Bruges. I arrived in a small town at night, which can be tricky, but good thing there were city maps throughout the city. If not for them, I probably would not found the hostel that I was staying at.

I arrived at the hostel, and went to my room. This place had no keys, and I was not too happy about the co-ed bathroom and shower room with no locks. After dropping my things off, I went out to a stand, to get some fries. This time, I got it with ketchup and mayo, which would be my dinner. Then headed back to the hostel, and that would be it.

I looked forward to seeing this town the next day.

Paulovic says:
Walter, congrats with your feature! :)
Cho says:
Congratulations on this featured blog, Walter. As mentiond earlier when I read this blog, I loved Belgium and would like to visit other parts of the country in the future. Brussels was all right and the Grand Place was well, very grand but I found the Mannekin Pis a bit disappointing and thought later; why would a small statue of a boy peeing attract so many visitors?
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured blog! :D
Royal Library of Brussels
Royal Library of Brussels
Place Royale
Place Royale
little garden in Palais des Congre…
little garden in Palais des Congr…
Central Station
fries with ketchup and mayo
fries with ketchup and mayo
Brussels Sights & Attractions review
2 different museums worth checking out if time permits
The Royal Museum of Fine Arts has 2 different museums in the building, with one on ancient art and the other on modern art. Located near the Place Roy… read entire review
Brussels