AfricaEgyptLuxor

The Valley of the Kings

Luxor Travel Blog

Crossing the Nile

In the morning we boarded a ferry to take us across the Nile from Luxor to the Valley of the Kings. In the Valley of the Kings, I went into several of the tombs, including tomb of Tutankhamun (King Tut) and the tomb of  Rameses VI. I think the tomb that stands out the most now is that of Rameses VI. The decorated walls with multitudes of painted figures dpeciv Egyptian theology and myths were a fantastic sight.

Our guide through the Valley was excellent. He was very knowledgeable about Egypian archaelology and history and eager to tell the story. At the tomb of Rameses VI, he explained in detail the paintings depicting the Egyptian myth of the day and night.

al-Qurn and entrance to Tomb of Rameses VI
 The sky goddess Nut swallows the sun and then gives birth to it the following morning. The painting depicted the goddess Nut with a very elongated body to enable the sun to make its nocturnal journey through her being. The story has parallels with the Egyptian theology of birth, death and afterlife. The guide fell silent at one point when another group drew near. He later explained he did not want to embarass the other guides by his knowledge or make the visitors feel they were being shortchanged on information. (Was he being nice, or did he just not want to give out freebie information? Who knows.)

At the end of the tour, we saw Deir el Bahari, the mortuary temple of Queen Hatshepsut, built into the base of a cliff. On the way out of the Valley, I reamin very impressed by the 23 m Colossi of Memnon, representing Amenhotep III.

Stairway to King Tut's Tomb

We returned to Luxor and headed for the airport. While we waited on the tarmac for our flight to arrive, an older man dressed in robes and headgear worked the queue of passengers. He was seeking "baksheesh", or some form of chit or recommendation from anyone queued up for the plane. I may have given him some loose coins. He was proud to display an expired bright yellow Northeast Airlines plastic credit card someone had given to him. That seemed to be more in line with what he sought, not money. Why did he want more cards like that? I've never forgotten that encounter.

Before long the airplane we waited for came in. Our flight took us back to Cairo where where connected with a Pan Am flight home. As we lifted out of Cairo and banked, I could see the lights of the city spread out below. Suddenly, all was dark. The city lights had gone out, some sort of power outage, perhaps. It was as though some ancient deiity had decreed Cairo vanish.

Andy99 says:
Our recent guide at the Galleria dell'Accademia and Uffizi Gallery was a bit the same and reminded me of the Luxor guide.
Posted on: Jun 15, 2013
spocklogic says:
Maybe the guide did not want to be overheard. I had a philosophy professor in college who was like that. Sensitive about who would hear him say what, though he couched it in the same way as your guide. BTW: dpeciv = depict?
Posted on: Jun 15, 2013
Crossing the Nile
al-Qurn and entrance to Tomb of Ra…
al-Qurn and entrance to Tomb of R…
Stairway to King Tuts Tomb