AfricaEgyptCairo

Flying Down to Aswan

Cairo Travel Blog

Sphynix and Pyramid of Khafre

Egypt, and an oportunity to see the ancient and the new! This trip would include the Aswan High Dam together with the famous antiquities of Luxor

Egypt was then one of the focal points of the Cold War. The Aswan High Dam project had become one source of friction in the contest between the US and the Soviet Unon to extend influence in Africa and the Middle East.  Relations between the US and Egypt were tense, a year after the Six-Day War. In the capital, Americans could be regarded with a degree of wariness, but there was much less tenson out in the country.

As I waited for the flight to Aswan to be called, I looked over some of the air carrier and travel displays in the terminal. I asked one airline official, seated and surrounded by the displays of several carriers, which one he represented.

UAA Comet IV at Cairo
"Interflug, Sir! The German airline!" he replied sharply as he lept to his feet. I'm sure he meant to intimidate and impress as much as to make the point that he was East German and did not represent Lufhansa.

Eventually, the flight was called and we boarded a United Arab Airlines Comet for the flight from Cairo to Aswan. The flight down to Aswan closely followed the Nile. The green swath of argicultural land along the blue colored Nile, contrasting with the desert beyond, could clearly be seen. I considered how this pattern had been followed since ancient times, the Nile Valley furnishing stability and the basis for Egyptian civilization.

spocklogic says:
I remember some Mormons came to my house once. They seemed nice enough and one was an American guy, the other from Germany. They gave me pamphlets and a Book of Mormon, so we chatted for a bit. The American guy did most of the talking until satan came up and the German guy got wide eyed and gave a sermon in my kitchen that was slightly scary - He was very intense! Anyway, just relating tangentially to your story of German airline pride...
Posted on: Jun 15, 2013
sUrAbUyA says:
Wow I was in Egypt with my mom and sister around this same time altho we didnt get to Aswan
We flew at night from Cairo to Luxor and could see the moon reflected in the Nile. How I wish there had been digital cameras back then. I have so few photos compared to the thousands I take on trips now.
Posted on: Dec 13, 2010
jenn79 says:
I can't believe how much I learned in those few short paragraphs... I love your vintage blogs!! =D
Posted on: Jan 28, 2008