Amiternum, Sulmona, & Scanno

Abruzzo Travel Blog

Roman theater in Amiternum
Never one to pass up the opportunity to visit an ancient Roman site, we started the day with a visit to Amiternum, which was originally an Etruscan (pre-Roman) settlement, that was later conquered by the Romans. The site included a partially preserved theater and ampitheater from Roman times. After spending about 30 minutes walking among the ruins and, we got in the car and drove to Sulmona.

Sulmona's "prodotti tipici" (typical products - the food items popular in a particular part of Italy) are confetti. No, not the shredded pieces of paper that you throw after a wedding. Confetti are almonds with a hard, sugary coating that come in many different flavors. So we bought a few bags and I can definitely recommend that you try some if you ever get the chance.
Ampitheater in Amiternum
The city, itself, was a great place for a daytrip. With remnants of medieval churches, an old aquaduct  running right through the main square of the city, and the mountains in the background, the small town has a lot of atmosphere and is a great place for photos. After a good lunch, a little shopping, and some creamy gelato, we were back on the road and on our way to Scanno.

Scanno is a small town high in the mountains, and is apparently a popular getaway place for Italians. The old women still wear a style of dress that has apparently been worn by women in this area for centuries (unfortunately, I didn't get any pics). There wasn't much to do other than walk the small alleyways of the town and get dinner. There was no menu at the restaurant we chose, so I did my best with trying to understand the server when he told  us the list of choices. Since I didn't understand so well, I figured I would play it safe with ravioli. Bad choice. The ravioli came out drenched in a yellow-sauce that was awful! Neither me nor my girlfriend could figure out what it was, but we both agreed it was terrible. Unfortunately, I still ate it, and my stomach was not very happy about it :(

It was now about 10 PM and we still had a two hour drive back to L'Aquila ahead of us. Maybe we tried to pack a little bit too much into one day, but that is the kind of travel that I love :)