Taking it easy

Vilankulo Travel Blog

The bus to Vilanculos left at some ungodly hour the next morning. Arnaud negotiated a good price for us, and we were off. It was a big, comfortable bus, and I must have slept most of the way because I don’t remember much about the trip at all.
When we arrived in Vilanculos, a small town with a number of quaint little beach resorts, one of the street urchins that helped us to carry our bags, tried to steal something from one of them. Arnaud caught it and threatened to rip the kid’s head off. The bystanders laughed, the boy ran off, and we were safe from petty crime for the rest of our stay.
We stayed in our little palm frond hut by the beach for a week, bought fresh seafood from the fisher men on the beach, cooked up a storm and took long walks with a pack of stray dogs in tow. I also did yoga every day as for once we had a space big enough to do so. Swimming, unfortunately, was not an option, because of a serious jellyfish infestation, and the dive shop was closed. The proprietors, a French couple, were on vacation in South Africa. When they returned we invited them to a lavish dinner, which included Morcilla from Maputo, lobster and squid from the beach, and salad and cheese and whatnot – we could have fed a dozen people…
Vilankulo