Leaving Mauritius

Mauritius Travel Blog

The rest of our stay in Mauritius we spent mostly at the Internet café where we braved slow connections vainly trying to solve our tenant problems at home.
But all in all we had a very nice time although we did not really like the island much. It seemed like a strange hodge-podge of cultures that did not gel at all, And despite its pretty sites, it seemed somehow too small or too crowded for us to really appreciate any of them. It almost felt like some sort of theme park, the way you stumbled from one attraction to the next.
On the way out of the country, I launched a complaint with the airport police about being conned into paying an absurd commission upon our arrival a week earlier. The officer in charge seemed to take offence to that and would not let me go until I almost missed the chance to check in. Poor Arnaud was waiting for me at the counter with all our luggage hyperventilating.
We only just made it. To top it all off, Air Mauritius did not want to accept our dive bag as sports equipment, as any civilized airline would do, and made us pay a hefty fee ($60) for excess baggage. Luckily we found exactly the amount needed on the airline counter, the cashier had obviously forgotten to collect from the last customer. Since we felt unjustly treated, we paid our fine with the money found. Five minutes later as we were about to go through the passport control, they changed their minds and gave us back the money. So we ended up being reimbursed for the $60 we had been swindled out of upon our arrival. Even Steven! Well, minus a sailing knife.