Diving at Alliwal shoal

Durban Travel Blog

Rock!
When our tenant problems were finally resolved and we were free to plan ahead, we shot down to the marina, again on scooters, speaking to everyone who might be able to help us find a sail boat to crew on to go to Dar-Es-Salaam in Tanzania. We did meet a lot of very nice and helpful people, but everybody assured us that it was too late in the season; nobody would be heading up that way anymore.
Dispirited, we decided to make the best of it and go diving one last time in Alliwal shoal, an area south of Durban famed for its great ragged-tooth shark population, before leaving the city for good.

We caught a ride out to Alliwal shoal with a fellow diver, a very entertaining German businessman, Andreas, who had been living in South Africa for several years.
Bah!
Originally he was from Essen (a German town by the name of ‘Eating’) of which he said ‘If this is eating, then what is puking like?’ which still makes me laugh every time I think of it. The first dive necessitated a fast entry with a strong current, and since I had trouble equalizing and the visibility was dismal, we lost the group and had to come up again. The boat driver brought us to the buoy to descend once more, but by the time we made it, all the raggies (ragged-tooth sharks), one of which Andreas had almost descended onto, were gone. It was very disappointing. It was also very cold, 19°C! I was shivering so hard that I did not know whether I was going to be able to do the second dive. But the sun was strong and warmed me up during our one-hour surface interval. The second dive did yield one white-tip shark, dozing in a cave, but it swam away fast as soon as it spotted Arnaud, or so the dive leader said.
Afterwards we had a braii with all the nice people from the dive shop and their families and got recommendations for diving locations up north in South Africa and Mozambique.

Catfish