16th April... What should be day 1...!

Belfast Travel Blog

Well today (16th April) should have been my first day setting off from Northern Ireland about 9am, trying to get to Dublin airport for a 4pm flight to Frankfurt and on to Australia!!

The news papers today were reading..........................................

The volcanic eruptions spewing ash into Britain’s skies intensified yesterday as officials warned that the ominous cloud will hover above the country for at least a week, causing further misery for travellers.

Hopes that some flights might have been permitted this weekend were dashed as more dust accumulated in the country’s airspace.

Last night, the unprecedented air lockdown was extended until at least 1pm today but the flight restrictions which have left people stranded all over Europe are now expected to extend further into the week."

I had to leave home and head for the airport anyway, something told me that was easier than trying to sit on the phone to the airline because the first few attempts at that the Automated Answer told me i was 115th in the que for an Advisor!

This certainly isn't what i wanted for my first day of a year out!!

When i got to Dublin, i got to speak to the Helpdesk pretty quickly, although the airport was like a ghost town!  I was told they couldn't change my ticket from there, as the agency i had booked with had this set to a restricted ticket!  So it was off to Dublin City Centre to find an office of the travel company!   They were able to change it straight away for me and im now booked on a flight from Dublin to Frankfurt on Wednesday afternoon... although the fact that the news shows Frankfurt with 2000 camp beds and a whole load of passengers is concerning me quite a bit... it isn't looking great!  I am definately going to have to extend my trip now!

I've just checked the most recent updates and it seems the ash cloud is right over both the UK/Ireland and Germany, so either way i'd be going nowhere soon.

Could be worse, i could have taken the original day and be one of those 2000 people sleeping on a camp bed, at least i have to comfort of my bedroom, access to a shower and lots of food... The only thing i dont have is money... Its all Australia Dollars!

Not many people i know can start a travel blog like mine!  I know i wanted unique experiences, but this is above and beyond what i expected!!