Saturday Night

Dublin Travel Blog

Emma
On Saturday we hit the nightlife of Dublin.
I have to say in advance, everything closes very early in Dublin. Me as German, I'm used to staying in the clubs till 6am or so, in Dublin most would close at 2:30am. So obviously it makes sence to start early. Therefore I met Emma in Fitzgerald's at 7pm, starting with some light Swedish pear cider. We had some food although getting salt and pepper turned out to be hard and the kitchen completely forgot about our garlich bread. But at least the prices were fair. I'll probably write a review about this some day too :).
It wasn't really exiting though, so I was glad when Peter showed up and made me get up (my butt was in bits). So we went to Slattery's in Capel Street, which was supposed to be a rock pub.
Emma and the barkeeper
Turned out the changed it...slightly...into one of those normal pubs with dance/ r&b music and no dance floor. *yawn*
Nothing made us stay in there then either, so we went to the Mezz. That's in temple Bar and connected with the Hub. There is live bands playing regulary (in the Hub every night), and the Mezz is free admission. I loved the walls which were covered with music and film posters. But the sound in there was very bad and my ears were actually sore from the noise.
Just before they closed we went to the Viper Room, which is famous for having a late licence. They're opened till 4am. For 1 1/2h we had to pay shocking €15. we were that desperate for some more party. But it's really not worth it. Try to avoid it. You're probably better off spending the time in Temple Bar Square watching the drunken people :).
A big problem when the pubs and clubs close, are the gypsies. They're just everywhere now. They came a few months ago and are annoying you already everywhere in Dublin's city center, but it's worse at the end of the night, as they know which club closes when and come in big groups all around you begging for change. (do they not know how expensive it's inside there, there's no money left...eunless you saved some for the taxi home). It's  a nightmare, cos you just don't have enough hands to protect the handbag, mobile, all pockets....leave me alone!
Peter and me in Slatterys
Peter and me in Slattery's
the Mezz
the Mezz
me and the Elvis poster in the Mezz
me and the Elvis poster in the Mezz
me and the Shining poster in the M…
me and the Shining poster in the …
Dublin