How Far Does $19 Go? Pretty Darn Far!

Scottsdale Travel Blog

The view of the living room from the foyer in my Villa.
With the long and dreaded winters of Wisconsin it is inevitable that those who live here start thing/dreaming of escaping to Arizona to thaw out sometime in February.  I was no exception.  On one particularly dreary day I began my weekly search of wish-list vacations where I could finally shed my coat.  I had been to Phoenix before but knew it was peak tourist season.  I was resigned to pushing my trip to there to May.

On the off chance that hotels at high season would be affordable I decided to play with fate. The place I was eyeing was about $150 a night.  I am a Priceline Believer, so, just for fun, I named my own (admittedly ridiculously low) price using the Cash Bonus that I found in the entertainment book.
View of the sunrise.
  You can imagine my shock when my price of $19/night was accepted in peak season at a Millenium Resort!  For a 3.5* resort surrounded by two golf courses, that rate was freakishly low.  I read reviews and was pleasantly surprised that the ratings were good.

Vacation day finally arrived. I headed to Milwaukee to board on my free ride to Phoenix courtesy of AirTran.  The few days before dumped much snow and ice throughout a swath of the Midwest, so there were many grumpy people at the airport who had been stranded for a day or two.  Luckily for me (because I am always lucky when I travel), my flights were only about 30 minutes behind schedule (AirTran has been great that way for me) so that left me just enough time to go have dinner in the airport.  I called the hotel and shuttle service to let them know of the delay.
Overlooking the golf course.

A few hours later, I arrived at Sky Harbor relaxed and happy that I was warm again.  My flight touched down around 12:30am.  When I checked in at the hotel, you can imagine my expression when I hear these words from the check-in desk: "All the regular rooms are filled for the evening, so if it is okay with you, we would like to upgrade you to a Villa for the evening."  For $19 a night I was put into a 3 bedroom, 2 story, 4 patio villa situated with a gorgeous sunrise view of the lake and 8th hole on one of the golf courses.  It was hilarious! 3 bathrooms and a full kitchen.  I admit, it was the first time traveling where I actually FELT alone because the place tripled the size of my own home.   It was a great way to wake up.

The next morning I was told by the front desk that I would be moving to a regular room.
Fog rises from the 8th hole.
While waiting for a room to become available I hung out by the pool and eventually moved on to lunch.  While I was eating the front desk called and let me know that the room was ready.  I told them my bag was packed and by the inside front door of the villa.  A valet moved the bag while I ate lunch in comfort.  Much to my surprise again, the front desk picked up the check for my entire lunch!  What a bargain and great hospitality for $19 a night hotel!

Much of the next couple of days I chose to explore the city of Scottsdale. I made the jaunt from my resort to Old Town to see what that was all about.  While Old Town has some highlights, it was not that interesting to me.
  I took a bus back to the hotel and instead opted to go canoeing on the private lake. It's the first time canoeing in about 20 years. So serene and peaceful.  I was able to take a good look at the surrounding golf courses. It was a beautiful view.

For dinner I headed down to the Diamondback Lounge. This day also happened to be Valentine's Day.  I sat at the bar and ordered a creme' brule and a glass of wine.  The bartender was from Chicago so we discovered some common experiences from the Midwest.  With free wine and a sun-filled, fun-filled day... it was the best Valentine's Day --- otherwise known as "Singles Awareness Day" in a long time.

Over the next couple of days I took in the sights around town including Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin East.  This place was such a drastic change from his Spring Green School and home, yet so beautifully and wonderfully mastered in its own way.

marksreynolds says:
Lucky you with the upgrade!
Posted on: Apr 17, 2010
The view of the living room from t…
The view of the living room from …
Exterior of my Villa.
Exterior of my Villa.
My happy place.
My happy place.
This tuna sandwich was terrific!
This tuna sandwich was terrific!
View from my regular hotel room.
View from my "regular" hotel room.
Creme Brule and wine.
Creme' Brule and wine.
Great sandwiches here.
Great sandwiches here.
Taliesin West.
Taliesin West.
Taliesin West from the front.
Taliesin West from the front.
Another great place for lunch.
Another great place for lunch.
Scottsdale Hotels & Accommodations review
Great, quiet resort, for unbelievably cheap offering VIP service.
I won the hotel on priceline in conjunction with the extra $10/night off from the entertainment book. I was positively shocked when I plugged in the r… read entire review