Trip Across the World

Kathu Travel Blog

Camel Jockey on the way to Kathu
The trip started in Adelaide Australia and like most trips it fell into disrepair as i boarded a plane to Sydney. Why you may wonder was I going to Sydney when the destination was South Africa. Apparently the travel agent thought it would be character building and the only direct flight was Zulu Air which im guessin is not a 5 star airline, and i think the bring your own goat for lunch condition was a dead give away. I had tried for over a week to get an upgrade using points with Qantas and it became apparent that unless you were in a strip club with K Rudd at some point in the recent past then there was slightly less chance of me getting an upgrade as there was of a Macdonalds breakfast being hailed for dietary excellence. When I passed by the row after row of empty premium economy seats i wondered if anybody ever got those seats as they were near to empty all the way to the third world, screw it thought and a chance encounter with a rather charming bottle of South Australian red i settled back to what would become a rather uneventful 14 hrs of cloud skipping.
What a waste
We did fly over the south pole. Now as you probably know it is the most awe-inspiring site on the planet, a vast vista of snow covered ice shelves and whales breeding and blowing bubbles and penguins and seals and i was hoping to see the Happy feet crowd swinging on the shelf. Fantastic and we were enthralled except for the tiny insy bitty little bit of cloud that totally blocked our view the scene was right out of a national geo mag ( sigh).

Joe-Burg (local translation) Gateway to the biggest football game in the galaxy and a new airport to boot. What i don't get is why you would go to the trouble of building a trillion shekel airport only to make the planes park so far from the terminal it was like walking to Kenya. After a twisting turning leg numbing stair climbing part of a triathlon leg we went through customs and to my amazement slide through so fast I think they thought I was some one important.
The African plains
On through to the reception area where i got to wait a bit cause the guy pickin me up didnt know me and i didnt know him and when we were the last two standin we figured we had to be the right people.

Hotel was the Peermont Metcourt. On the road the next day to Kathu, a 600km drive through the heartland of South Africa. My driver Wilfred Mills turned out to be an inspiring guide and had i not met him my trip would have been less than enjoyable. Arrived Kathu with no problems. If you can meet someone who speaks Afrikaans the grab them with both hands life is a whole lot easer.
Kathu