Driving-Vacation to Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Rothenburg Travel Blog

A few days earlier, in addition to visiting the Bavarian favorites; Munich, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and Füssen (Neuschwanstein Castle), we visited the medieval fortified town of Rothenburg o.d.T. The medieval walls and the coble stone roads and alleys ooze a thousand years of history. The archaic architectures of this town emanate the dreamy antiquity. The history the 30-year war created an Indiana-Jones-like mystery complete with the underground passages and dark dungeons.

The Rathaus at the Marktplatz has two structures, one that has the Renaissance style and the other has the Gothic style. Climbing the Rathaus clock tower was a worthwhile experience. Not only we had to climb the never ending spiraling and zig zaging stair steps, we also had to go through various crevices through the ceilings of many floors.
Once we arrived at the top, about 165 ft. above the ground, we were rewarded by a panoramic view of the fort town, the new outer city, and the lush Bavarian rolling hills all the way to the horizon.

Towards the end of our driving vacation, heading back to Ingolstadt from Milan, I sat on the passenger side enjoying the picturesque A22 near the border of Italy and  Austria. We had climbed from 59 meter elevation at Verona to 1370 m elevation at the Brenner Pass.  As far as my eyes could see, Goliath-size lush mountains of the Italian Alps weaved each other. Farming villages dot the steep slopes of the mountains in this region. At some distant in front of us, a curtain of rain was drenching a village. The sun played an orchestra of light by producing a very bright  rainbow that spanned over several mountains. It was a mesmerizing view.

I day dreamed back to my experience at Splügen pass. The grandiose view, the pristine air, and the stillness of life heightened my sense of being, nothing less and nothing more. If there is such thing as Heaven on Earth, Splügen pass is definitely it, at least for me. I will always treasure this trip and I hope that you will get to experience it as well

andreas@driving-vacation.com