The march to ice cream heaven

Paris Travel Blog

Path to Bastille

Once again no alarm, woke up to the fiery ball in the sky shining into the apartment, birds chirping quietly and the whistling of the postman as he clicks his feet together as he passes the street.  Haha, not quite i stole the last bit from a movie but when you’re on holiday everything just seems to be perfect.

Today no set plans, although Paris buddy is keen to show me the Paris that he has so deeply fallen in love with.

Bastille

We start with a gentle walk to Bastille hoping to catch the arts market.  When we reach the stretch it is about 11.30am and there are quite a few selections of stalls open for business.  There are a varied selection of pictures, paintings, photos, jewelry and other pieces.  The vendors are happy for you to peruse their collection with no pressure to buy.  There are few consumers paying any attention to the market at all.  Most people are out enjoying the pleasant weather, having a snack or spot of lunch.

We jumped on the metro from here and got the 10 tickets for 11.60.

We headed to the area called Butte-aux-caille (the hill of quails).  We walked the old cobbled streets looking for interesting sites and then food.   The locals all say that there is nothing in particular to see but there are plenty of things to see.  They say to just walk through the streets slowly and enjoy everything you see.

graffiti
  So we do just that, admiring the random graffiti.  Checking out the random shops, stopping for coffee in tiny cafes and just generally enjoying the slow pace.

We are so hungry after the walk that we jump into the first restaurant that we spot.  Turns out to be a circus themed place, with a piano in the middle and a tiger and zebra rug draped over the seats.  We ordered quickly in the hope that the food would arrive quickly, I wanted the cheese burger and Paris buddy the duck.  The juices and water arrived quickly in funky shaped vase like jugs.  When the burger arrived I could not control the drool from dribbling at the corners of my mouth.  I lifted the top bun to discover a pulsing cow, eeeeeeeek!  Blood oozing from all over and crumbling meat falling off where it was slightly cooked.  I looked at it in fear, do I dare try to eat this from dying of starvation or do I ask for it to be slaughtered and cooked.  I couldn’t bring myself to eat it so I ask for it to be taken back and cooked a bit more… no blood please.

graffiti
  They were quick about it and arrived back looking edible.  In my excitement I jumped and grabbed the ketchup, kept in a kilner jar.  Those slippery buggers can be awkward to open and in my over excited attempt, I knock the water jug flying off the table and crash landing onto the floor.  Note to self… leave a huge tip.  The waiter rushes over and cleans up very swiftly as I apologise profusely.  Hang my head in shame the fussy eater and clumsy customer.  When all the commotion is over with I devour the burger like a monster.  It was good only but nothing to write home about, the goodness was actually fuelled by the fact I was so hungry.

Following lunch we walked around some more to walk off the food and hit the metro to head back into town towards the L’arc de triomphe.  The station closest was Charles de Gaulle etoile.  Took some pictures here, no change since last seeing this place 5 years ago.  We hung around for a bit to see if we would witness any car accidents around the very busy, very un orderly car junction.

Butte-aux-caille
  Lots of car beeping and frustrated drivers but no accidents.  A walk along George V to spot rich people and fabulous cars before we hit the Eiffel tower views and the river.  Again no changes since 5 years ago, we took some shots here and then headed towards the beast itself.  I could barely bring myself to walk anymore as we slowly got closer and closer.  The rays of the fiery ball was pounding down on us and penetrating layers of my skin.  We got as close as the patch of grass under it and plonked ourselves down for a little nap.  Paris buddy was engulfed in pollen and sneezed like a crazy person, we had to keep on moving.  We decided not to scale the Eiffel tower today as it was too hot, we were already restless and tired and I really wanted to do it at night.

Next we decided instead to walk from here to St Germain des Pres in search of the infamous ice cream place that Paris buddy kept raving on about.  As we marched for ice cream heaven we past Alexander pont, we walked on until we saw the Musee d’Orsay.

Butte-aux-caille
  It was at this point that I needed to use the ladies facilities and so I suggested that we sit down have a coffee, use the facilities before we continued on.  Paris buddy in an attempt to prove me wrong suggested that we did not need to make a purchase for the café to let us use their facilities.  I protested and said that to avoid red face embarrassment we should sit down as paying customers, as I was sure they would turn us out the door if we just asked to use their facilities.  Paris buddy in his best French and charming smile kindly asked the guy behind the bar if his lady friend could possibly use the facilities.  The guy turned to me and said in the most disgusted tone “ why don’t you use the street.”  Rude and un-necessary.   This to Paris buddy was like a slap in the face.  Not only was I right but the rudness of the man was frightening.  Gutted we walked silently the rest of the way.

Enroute to ice cream heaven I was side tracked by a very yummy looking patisserie café.

L'arc du triomphe
  The cakes were calling to me and I justified it with the excuse that I was simply opening my appetite for the ice cream.  I had a mille feuille and a strawberry fruit tart, irresistible.  The sweet pastries had opened my appetite to more sweets.

Eventually when we hit the ice cream parlour, “Amorino” the queue was all the way down the street.  This place is clearly popular.  We joined the queue and 20mins later we were watching the lady scoop our cones.  I ordered the medium cone, she shaped it like a flower and the final product was HUGE.  The Passionfruit flavour made up the petals and mango as the middle part.  The cone was the size of my head.  I had to frantically start licking to compete with the melting slush.  Immediately I start to lose the senses in my tongue and experience a brain freeze.  Was it worth it?  Abso-fucking-lutely!

Next stop we pass Notre Dame.

Eiffel tour
  We people watch for a while, the tourist snapping away outside, the queue of people eager to see the interior and the people sitting alongside the river.    From here it is only a 15min walk back to the flat and I bare the fiery soles of my feet, grit my teeth and continue with the walking.  The streets were already busy with the w/end revellers.  I even spotted what looked like a stag night.

Arts market