AsiaChinaXigaze

Wake Up !

Xigaze Travel Blog

Everest early in the morning
I am woken about 7am by Julie calling from outside the tent "Get up and come and look at this".  I lie in bed for another minute conscious that it is cold outside, "Come outside there's a view that's worth it" Julie calls again.  I pull on my boots and fleece and stumble outside and there it is, a clear sky and Everest glowing yellow in the morning sunlight.  It really is a fantastic view.

By 8:30 we are on the road.  Today we will retrace the route back to Shigatse.  5km down the valley we stop to take photos at the monastery.  Although this is the highest monastery in the world it is fairly nondescript and Kalsang is dismissive of the guesthouse here ("very dirty" he says).  It is disappointing, for some reason I had expected the monastery here to match the location, but the reality must be that this is a small, and probably quite poor, monastery despite the constant passage of well-healed tourists passing its door.
Everest and other 8000m peaks
  At the high pass we stop again for photos.  It is still early and with no clouds the view across to Everest and Cho Oyo is magnificent.

We arrive at Shigatse by mid afternoon and tour the monsatery.  This is one of the largest in Tibet and is of special significance to the Panchen Lamas.  Kalsang tells us that the monastery was badly damaged during the cultural revolution but has been heavily restored and now has about 1000 monks in residence.   The main chapels are impressive particularly the tombs of the Panchen Lamas, but the overall monastery area is strewn with a fair amount of rubbish.

We were expecting to head on to Gyantse tonight but instead Kalsang takes us to a hotel here in Shigatse.  This one is of a Tibetan design and Kalsang thinks this is better than the Yak hotel where we stayed 2 nights ago - I'm not so convinced but it is comfortable enough.

Our host and hotel