Sultans of Swing

Istanbul Travel Blog

Blue Mosque

I don't know why I have not been to Istanbul before, after all it is close enough to the UK to be a weekend destination.  Perhaps I thought the sheer size and frantic activity of the city would not appeal but whatever the reason I was wrong.  Despite the obvious tourism and relatively high prices Istanbul remains one of the world's great destinations.

Like most visitors we are staying in Sultanahmet in the shadow of the Blue Mosque and Asaso fya.  The magnificance of these two buildings especially is captivating, but there is so much more to see as well.  We tour the major mosques in the old city and the grand and spice bazaars.  The Suleyman mosque, perhaps the finest, is closed for renovation but we look in just about every other sight we can.

On our final day for a breather from the city, we take the ferry for a day cruise up the Bosphorus, crusing under the 2 road bridges and terminating at a village right at the northern end of the straits.  We walk up the hill to the fortress, watching the empty oil tankers heading east into the haze of the Black Sea, before strolling back to the ferry for the return trip.

Ayaso fya