Play The Game

Karak Travel Blog

View from Al Karak

Karak is an ancient town in central Jordan famous for its massive crusader castle.  Most visitors pass through here on a day trip as it is a convenient stop off en route to Petra or Amman.

The bus from Aqaba was 3 hours and though not that comfortable was reasonably fast and we arrive in Karak shortly after noon.  Not quite as easy is finding a hotel but we guess that they will be near the castle and when we eventually toil our way up the hill to the castle entrance we find 3 hotels by the square and take a large room for the reasonable rate of 25JD.

The castle is the big (only?) attraction here, set in a commanding position on the top of the hill.  The crusader history is also intresting.  Twice the castle held out under siege by Saladin, eventually falling to the Muslim forces many years later.  The castle is huge and much of it remains unexcavated.  You can explore a maze of underground passages that would surely be out of bounds to visitors if this was in the west which give you the feeling that you might stumble over something undiscovered round the next corner.

My camera decides to run out of batteries and I have forgotton to bring spares with me so I miss out on pictures of the castle.

In the evening it is the World Cup Final and we watch it in our hotel room - I am pleased to see Spain win though it is tough luck for the Dutch to reach the final 3 times but not yet to have won.

Sunset from Karak