Peaches

Bayanzag Travel Blog

Flaming Cliffs

Bayanzag is possibly the most famous place in the Gobi but to me it is disappointing.  It is known as the "Flaming Cliffs" and is famous as the site where some unique dinosaur fossils were discovered back in the 1920's.  Though I am sure the findings here were truely amazing,  there is nothing here about the finds and the place though scenic is reasonably similar to the White Cliffs.  The ger where we stay overlooks the cliffs and a closed cafe built in the design of a large tortoise (I'm not quite sure why a tortise).  The facilities here are pretty basic - that is being generous - non existent would be a more accurate description.

In the morning we drove from the sand dunes back across the mountains and north into the middle Gobi.  We stop in the small town, do some shopping and have lunch.  Phil, pleased with the OJ and beer purchases (we buy some more) now wants to buy some fruit to supplement our breakfast.  Though the choise here is not extensive we find one shop that has a large jar of peaches and I buy this.  Lunch is at a house owned by someone in the golden gobi family.  The house is basic with 2 rooms simply decorated.  Moogi cooks up a hearty noodle lunch and we eat lunch with the family while watching Mongolia's version of "So you think you can dance" on TV.

Ger at sunset