My Own Way

Sofia Travel Blog

Cathedral in Sofia

Julie has headed off to Turkey for some flying while I finished my walking but now that the Wainwights are behind me I'm keen to be off travelling again.  My original idea was to fly to Turkey to meet the paragliders but after a little thought I decided to go to Bulgaria for a few days then meet Julie in Istanbul.  Easyjet fly 3 times a week from Gatwick to Sofia and the fare is half that to Turkey; I should also be able to travel overland reasonably easily to Turkey.

Easyjet lives up to their reputation for punctuality leaving 3 hours late but apart from the frustration this is not a problem as I am in no particular rush.  Sofia seems hot after England; I buy 2 tickets for the bus into town - one for me and one for my backpack (a common E Europe policy I remember) and sit in the sun to wait for the bus.

Sofia centre
  With a little luck and trusting my sense of diection, I manage to find my way across the city to the hostel following their directions but let down by my poor knowledge of cryllic alphabet.  The room is excellent, spotlessly clean and I even have my own balcony.

Sofia is a pleasant surprise.  It is not westernised like Prague but neither is it intimidating like Rumania.  The city centre is compact so is easy to walk around in a day and though there are not a great number of real sights the old buildings and churches are interesting to wander aound and the city parks and cafes make the city feel relaxed and make it photogenic.  The food here is also surprisingly good helped along by some good local wine and beer.  I think I will quite like it here.

Riz7 says:
didn'nt see the church - some of tbe central city is being dug up for a new metro and as it was a short trip I didn't have much info to hunt out the lesser known spots
Posted on: Oct 10, 2010
bipbipouai says:
did you see this little church built by the first Christian whose ruins are now surrounded by 5star hotel? It was what impressed me the most in Sofia, along with the gypsies wiping the tramway track.
Posted on: Sep 28, 2010