AsiaChinaChengdu

Making Plans For ...

Chengdu Travel Blog

Sams GH
A day to rest and plan.  1st challenge, as I recall from our last time in China, is breakfast.  Eventually maybe I'll work up a liking for dumplings and porridge but we go looking for a cafe serving coffee and cake and are at least partially succesful.  Main objective of the day is to see whether we can arrange to travel into Tibet.  The girls at Sam's confirm this should be possible but we need to have a permit and to book all the travel and hotels in advance.  They take our perferred itinerary and start working out a price.  Our next check is to see if the ANZ travel card will deliver us cash and after a couple of false starts we figure it out.  The main Chengdu park is close by and we spend a hour or so walking through observing the locals.  The park is a real hub of activity with singing groups - with their own live band - line dancers, exercise classes, kite flyiers, badminton games as well as the tea houses packed full of retired people playing games.  A local oddity are the ear cleaners who patrol the tea houses looking for clients.  I'm sure it is a good thing to have clean ears but decide to pass on the experience as my hearing, though selective, seems fine.
The garden at Sams