Light My Fire

Khogno Khan Uul Travel Blog

The Semi Gobi

We have a long way to drive today, over 400km heading back through Kharhorin and on towards UB so we are woken early as the fire in our ger is lit before 6am. Our destination is only a few km off the main UB to Arvaikheer road but is a spectacular setting that typifies the Mongolian country, mountains, endless steppe with some sand dunes in the distance.  This area is called the "Semi-Gobi" we have heard that it is very beautiful and we are not disappointed.

Apart from a broken fan belt the journey is uneventful.  We make a quick stop at the Yellow Dog cave near to the White Lake and this reminds me we ought to try to see the Mongolain film of the same name when we are back home.  In Tserterleg we have lunch at a cafe and Bayaraa nips off for a quick haircut.

Our camp is at the foot of these hills
  I contemplate the idea as I do need a haircut, but decide to have a quick look at the monastery instead.

When we arrive at the gers we are welcomed as usual with tea and biscuits, but the grandfather also offers us to share his snuff and to smoke his pipe. This is another of the traditional Mongolian greetings I have heard about.

We will be back in UB tomorrow and Bayaraa wants some food for his family's weekend meal so heads off to select a sheep and goat to slaughter.  He brings a goat and sheep back and takes them into the hut next to our ger and that is the last we see of them as we decide not to watch the killing but do see the results as they are brought out.  Bayaraa looks pleased at the results; we wonder where in the van he will be storing all the meat for our trip back tomorrow.

The Semi Gobi
Our camp is at the foot of these h…
Our camp is at the foot of these …
Ger camp