Jet Airliner

Bukhara Travel Blog

The A380 highway

The main highway in this part of Uzbekistan that runs from Bukhara NW towards Khiva is the A380, a number now more commonly used to refer to the new double-decker airbus, but there is nothing quite so high-tech on the roads here.

We had expected to have to catch a local taxi from Khiva to Urgench, the main town in this area, but the La'Li guest house owners are very keen to find us a taxi and quickly track down someone they know who happens to be heading to Bukhara.  The car looks OK and he promises not to pick up any more passengers but I am a little worried when he stops for directions only 500m after we start and at one point near Urgench I need to direct him to take the right exit from a roundabout.

Status of Hoja Nasruddin - Bukhara
  Apart from this though we make good progress, this time we have no interference from the police and shortly after 5pm he drops us in the centre of Bukhara.

We easily find a good B&B in the old town and I locate a travel agent who can sell us train tickets.  This will be useful as will save us the 14km hike out to the railway station to buy a ticket.  Our plan is to book sleeper berths to Tashkent. As it is after 5 we need to wait to morning to see if this will be possible, I have a gut feeling that sleeper berths may be hard to get, but so far Uzbek railways has impressed so perhaps I should be more positive.  We have a few more days before our flight departs from Tashkent so whatever the ticket situation we are not going to end up marooned in Uzbekistan!

Lyabi-Hauz Bukhara