Games Without Frontiers

Jerash Travel Blog

Maın street

I have not spent much time in Italy and therefore have probably not seen the very best Roman ruins in the world but I would still be suprised if Jerash is not right up there as one if the best Roman sites you can visit today.  Up until last week I had not even heard of it.

Jerash is another place that is an easy day trip from Amman.  This time we decide to find our own way there by public bus and after a false start (we walk to the bus station in town that is closed on Friday) we arrive in good time.

By the city gates there is a huge Hippodrome where ther Romans used to race chariots which is kept alive today by shows of gladiator games.  We, however decide to skip the show and head in to the main city before the temperature becomes unbearably hot.

The ruins are extensive and the main street and square (or perhaps forum)  are particularly good.  I like the way so can see the ruts worn by cart wheels on the stones of the main street.

In the amphitheatre we are treated to a short performance by two bedouins one playing the bagpipes and the other a drum, with an eclectic selection of songs.  Not sure where the bagpipe connection comes from but maybe there is some traditional link between Scotland and Jordan; I'll have to check this out.

Forum?