Chocolate Cake

Yinchuan Travel Blog

Pagoda in town centre

Food is one of the big differences between cultures.  We are eating at an Italian buffet restaurant in Yinchuan and looking over at the Chinese girl at the next table I have to hide a smile.  She has filled her plate with just about everything from the buffet and is happily eating a mouthful of fried chicken and swiss-roll.  I shouldn't laugh I'm sure I have ordered bizarre Chinese food combinations that will have raised a few eyebrows from the locals!

Yinchuan is not a particularly interesting place but was a convenient overnight train ride from Datong.  The main sight here are the Western Xia Tombs about 20km out of town, but we fail to find the bus that supposedly runs that way and baulk at paying 120Y for a return taxi so don't go.  Instead it seems we ride the #1 bus to and from the train station and arrange our onward travel (by bus to Lanzhou) for tomorrow.

Eventually when this is all done we feel a little guilty for avoiding the possible tourist attractions so stop in at the city museum and find it has a pleasant garden and a 10 storey pagoda which we climb to the top.  The climb is great but the view from the top fairly uninspiring (flat land and hazy vis).

Pagoda in town centre
Not Tiannenman sq but Yinchuan!
Not Tiannenman sq but Yinchuan!
Museum gardens