The Cat Crept In

Everest Base Camp Travel Blog

First view of Everest
We are out of Shigatse early and on the road heading West again. Today we have planned ahead and have snacks for the journey (peanuts, biscuits, jam and rolls) but Kalsang has taken the hint and we have a good breakfast at the hotel before we leave and reach new Tingri for lunch.

On the road (highway 318) we pass the 5000km milestone and stop for a break.  The 318 starts in Shanghai and from here it is 5000km back to Shanghai. I don't know where it finishes but suspect it runs either to Nepal or West to Kailash.  On the way to Tingri we cross anotehr high pass at 5248m and have our first view of Everest.
Highest mt in the world
  Weather has been good so far and the mountain though distant looks clear.

At Tingri we stop for lunch, refuel and buy our entry tickets for Everest area.  These have increased to 180Y and though I grumble it is not really too expensive (though is the most expensive entry we pay in Tibet).  About 10km after Tingri we leave the main road and have 102km on gravel road to EBC.  The first hour is slow as we climb up to the top of a pass from where we have a much closer view of the Everest range ahead.  From here we can we can see 5 peaks over 8000m though Everest and Cho Oyo are the dominant two.

After a further 2 hours and at about 5pm we arrive at the Nomad camp where we will spend the night.  There are about 30 tent hotels here but this early in the season there are only maybe 30 people staying and it seems quiet.
Everest from EBC
  When we step out of the Landcruiser we notice the thin air - we are at 5200m here - so rest for 30 minutes before taking the shuttle bus up to base camp proper.   We walk the 200m to the lookout and are tired by the walk and chilled by the wind.   There is cloud but still the views of Everest are worth it.   We linger a while but eventually Kalsang persuades us to head back to the bus and camp.

Back at the tent our landlady makes us feel at home with hot tea.  Soon she has the yak dung stove on full blast and the tent is feeling very cosy. One of the nice experiences of staying here is that it is very much like staying with a local family.  Our hosts have 2 young children, a boy and a girl, who eat, play and watch TV in the main tent.  We have a filling dinner and soon it is time for bed.  Our host puts here 2 children to bed - we are intrigued by the way she ties her 9 month old baby boy into his cot.  We settle into our beds near the fire covered by a thick doona and blanket.  Within minutes I feel a movement and the family cat forces its way under my doona and into my bed.  I don't mind and the cat decides to stay in my bed the whole night, only occasionally scratching me when I want to turn over.

skippyed says:
Regards the cat... so many lines so little time!!!!
Posted on: May 19, 2010