Around Whitby

Whitby Travel Blog

*the* view

So, you know the Frommer's picture I was talking about? The one that whet my appetite to visit this town, the one that I just *had* to have, the one that's what memories are made of? Well, I was wondering where the hell they ever took that picture from and found out that it was on the bridge that went over River Esk, the main "motorway" into the town. This bridge was about 1.5 miles way from the city centre, but I'd be damned if I'd let distance get in the way of a Kodak moment.

So as soon as the bus stopped in Whitby town centre, I started walking back up (knee sprain and all) to this picture perfect spot, and saw it with my very own eyes. My luck! It's times like these that I feel so fortunate for just living and getting to travel to such places.

Sunday is a very busy afternoon day in Whitby
Everytime I visit the UK, people are thinking my trips will start and end in London, and I mention some Godforsaken place in which I'll be spending 3-4 days and they go "huh?", and I'm thinking "yep, did I do the right thing by staying so long there", but as this and the Cornwall trip taught me, I love these small little towns with next-to-nothing tourist spots that I can just relax and enjoy, and still manage to spend time so effectively.

Anyway back to the moment - so I spent about 15 minutes here taking pictures, hoping someone would walk over the bridge but that wasn't to be. I walked back into town, had some chips for lunch and then went into the first tourist attraction of the day, the Dracula Experience.

Random shot of a colourful cafe
This one was LOL, it was so tiny and terribly managed, but it was good. I'm just disappointed that I didn't spend more than 5 mins in here, it's so tiny. The next stop was the Christopher Cook museum which was a good experience. It's slightly pricey for what it offers, but was good to learn about his journeys, and the artifacts that he picked up from each place he visited.

Walked back, up the 199 steps again and went to the hostel for a change of clothes as it had been sweaty all day, but I actually ended up napping for an hour (LOL), suddenly woke up and realised I have to run to see the Abbey before it shuts down (I was given a free entrance ticket as part of staying in the hostel). Thankfully I showed up 1 hr before closing time and in that hot sun, I got to wander around the Abbey.

The Whitby Abbey
The Abbey by itself was just any other Abbey, and looks far better from far away (that shot of it with the pond in front) versus close up, but the displays inside the hall were very interesting to read.

Got back to the hostel, made myself some tea and sat by the balcony taking it all in, and then went for my final night around town. The idea was, again, to capture some sunset shots. And I wasn't disappointed! I packed some food up and sat in the West cliff overlooking both the harbour as well as the sea. This being Sunday, I was about to comment on how noisy and overcrowded it was all day, but come Sunday evening, everything was quiet. The daytime visitors had gone back, it was just the residents and the rsnts all winding down operations for the week. I managed to get some really good shots of the place before returning to the hostel, eating dinner and sleeping around 11pm after packing up. I was leaving Whitby the next day! :-(

I normally try not to think too much, or be too thankful for the places I visited, but as I slept that night, I really couldn't believe my luck. That the same town I dreamt off since May 2006 had finally become more than reality, it had become home for me for 4 days. I would love to come back here at some point. There are at least half a dozen more walks I can do in this area, and I love the Yorkshire green.

sarahthevegasbride says:
We visited Whitby for a goth festival a couple of weeks ago i have added pictures into our blog days out with our camera. My husband got a nice shot of the abbey. We are booked up for April too for Goths again. You are best following us on facebook as i dont really use travbuddy much. thrashdslr photography.
Posted on: Nov 14, 2013
HelenP says:
yep, that is the view I slow down for on the bridge :)
Posted on: Sep 22, 2012
Dr_Seuss says:
Need to dream of another place now though Vikram :O
Posted on: Jun 10, 2010
*the* view
Sunday is a very busy afternoon da…
Sunday is a very busy afternoon d…
Inside the Abbey