Afternoon around London

London Travel Blog

Imperial War Museum front facade

The thing I decided this time with 1.5 days in London was simple - go back to basics, visit some of the touristy spots that I hadn't in all these years. The thing about London is that it's a town that can thrill you, overwhelm you and make you feel like a tourist that you have to start hitting your bucket lists. At the same time, it's also a town that calls itself home to you, that you sort of take the local treats for granted and venture into little towns around the area. Either way, the experience has been rewarding, but I really wanted to "do" London this time.

After arriving in town from Rye, the first stop was the Imperial War Museum. One of those places that I had to see in the last 5 yrs I've actively been visiting this city, but somehow had not.

What I love about London museums is that a majority of them are free. It's really such a nice gift to tourists who pay quite a bit for the hotel prices, etc. I reached around 3pm. From afar, the museum looks like a big dome. And the title is also somehwat misleading. When you first enter, you have a bunch of big war exhibits like a tanker, etc that I got me thinking "thank God it's free, I'd have hated to pay for THIS!". But as everyone would say and agree, the highlight of this place is the Holocaust Exhibit. By joe, it's the best. I couldn't believe how they've taken one of the most disturbing events in history, made it so real and at the same time, so entertaining and engrossing. I loved the way they've got interviews stored in old fashioned phones that you pick up and listen to, and loved the concentration camps' exhibits and models.
Inside the museum
I spent easily about 2 hours here, then spent less than 30 minutes seeing the rest (including the Godawful "children in war" which has a bunch of exhibits that kids whose parents were in the war had collected, like dolls and stuff). I was famished, again.. so treated myself to an excellent Victorian sandwich cake, before leaving the museum at 6pm.

I didn't have an agenda for the rest of day, it was just going to be wandering to my favourite spots and just, well, walking around. I caught the Tube to Oxford street, went to Topman and River Island to hopefully purchase something (well, nothing). I was quite impressed with the new diagonal street path @ Oxford Circus. There was some major Spain festival display going on this time. Some shops were closing early on account of Bank Holiday. From Oxford Circus, I caught the Tube to Covent Garden where I walked around, bought myself a delicious pasty and then went to the M&S to buy chocolates and biscuits for home. Headed back to my home Earl's Court around 8pm, had dinner with a fantastic Australian couple in the kitchen, and then went to surf the Internet and catch up on work email (I know, I'm an internet junkie). Gosh I was tired! I slept that night just amazed at my choices for my last day, Tuesday, and thinking which attractions I should hit.

Cho says:
I read a lot of military history and have been to this museum twice....very interesting exhibits there. And yes, one thing I like about England is that museums do not charge any admission fee like here in the United States.
Posted on: Jul 18, 2015
Inside the museum
The elephant spotting begins, firs…
The elephant spotting begins, fir…
London