From the Old to the New

Vilnius Travel Blog

After a sleepless night, the bus arrived in Vilnius at around 6am. Lasma had to change busses here, so she also got off the bus. We exchanged contact detials and made plans to meet up when I arrived in Riga later that week. We said our goodbyes and I walked to my next hostel: Hostel Gate.

I woke the guy on the night shift and he checked me in and led me up to the dorm room. It was still pretty early and everyone was still asleep, so I just dropped off my bag, then left to find somewhere to have a coffee. There wasn’t much open at that time in the morning, but I managed to find a place not too far away.

After I had consumed enough coffee to keep me awake for the next few hours, I had a walk around part of the Old Town past the Town Hall and the big Russian Orthadox Church, to the area outside of the city wall, then went to find a supermarket to get something breakfast. I headed back to the hostel at around 11am, ate my food and hit the sack for a few hours.

After a well needed shave and shower, I headed back out and wandered around the in to the Old Town and to the city centre. From there, I headed to the new part of town, which is on the other side of the river. This part is full of big shiny new skyscrapers, with more being built. I found a nice supermarket in the basement of a new mall, so picked up some food for dinner and carried it all the way back to the hostel. In heindsight, I really should have found one a bit nearer!

I chilled out for a bit at the hostel, then ate dinner in the communal kitchen, which chatting to a few of the other guests, including a retired American guy, who is really well travelled and hasn’t let age get in the way of seeing more of the world. He had had lots of interesting stories to tell and a fair bit to say about some of the places I was going to visit on my trip.

I headed back out when it was dark, to take a few photos of the Old Town at night, before calling it a night and heading to bed.

14,100 km (8,761 miles) traveled