From Florence to Venice

Florence Travel Blog

Woke up at about 8.30am to a warm and sunny day (for a change) and after getting ready, I packed my bag for the trip later in the day. I Grabbed a banana and a yogurt for breakfast and chatted to the other guests before heading into town.

The main aim of the trip was to pick up something to eat for the train journey, but as it was a Sunday, mostly everything was shut. I opted for a slab of pizza from a touristy restaurant, which was rather disappointing for the price. Then I picked up my bags from the hostel and caught a bus to the train station.

I used the self service machines to buy my ticket to Venice, opting for the slower train, which only takes an hour longer to get there, but costs half the price. After the ticket was printed, I noticed the train actually left from another station in Florence (Rifredi and not SMN), which I'm sure the ticket machine didn't show! I jumped on another train to the other station, but it didn't leave until about 3 minutes before my train left the other station. Leave it to say that I missed my train by about 3 mins. Bah! The lady at the ticket office was very helpful and transferred my ticket to a train later in the day, but that meant I had a 3 hour wait at the station and, of course, as it was a Sunday, all of the shops around it were shut.

After a long boring wait, I finally boarded the train and was on my way to Venice, my most favorite place in the world!

The train journey was relatively uneventful and I arrived at Venice Mestre station at about 8.30, which is on the mainland, so had a to catch yet another train over to the islands. I had a bit of trouble finding a ticket there, so missed 3 trains and had to wait 45mins until the next one.

My hostel for the next few nights, A Fish Venice, was a 20 minute walk from the station, so I finally arrived there at about 11!

My first impression was that the hostel is a little run down and could do with a make over, although it had a really good atmosphere. I was put into an 'overflow' room, which was basically a storage cupboard where they keep the spare mattresses! I was sharing the room with 3 others, 2 of which where there when I arrived, a South Korean girl and a guy from Hong Kong, so I had a chat with them before heading to bed.
Florence