Arrival in Pisa

Pisa Travel Blog

 › entry 3 of 22 › view all entries
I had to get up rather early to catch my flight to Pisa, so after dragging myself out of bed at 5.30, I got my stuff together to catch a bus, saying goodbye to my housemate, who was also up early, and the lovely little house I spent the last year living in.

I caught a bus and a tube to reach Heathrow Terminal 5, which I was a bit unimpressed with, as it seemed like any other newish airport. Checking in went relatively smoothly, although some mysterious metal object got me a frisking at security. The flight was uneventful, which is probably a good thing, and BA fed me a small salmon filled bap thing. I had a window seat, but because of the cloud covering most of Europe at the time, I didn't have much of a view. At least it wasn't of the volcanic variety!

The plane came in low over a very wet looking piece of Italy, which didn't bode well for the next week. The plane landed safely and after collecting my luggage, I found a ticket office to get a bus ticket for Pisa. The airport is very close to town, so 10 minutes later, I hopped off the bus, just in front of the train station and walked the 5 minutes to my first hostel, both of this trip and of my life!

I stayed at the Walking Street Guesthouse, based on Corso Italia, which is the main shopping street and tourist thoroughfare in Pisa. It was quite easy to find anyway, with it being above a Zara! With this being my first hosteling experience, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. The hostel was only a few months old, so everything was still new and shiny. It's based in a really old building, with 300 year old colored-glass windows running the length of 2 of the dorm rooms. It's owned and run by a very friendly Italian guy and his Thai partner. He showed me to my bed for the next 2 evenings, which was about 1/3 the size of my usual king size back home! The room was pretty big and only had 6 other beds in it.

I said hi to one of my roommates, an Australian guy called Matt, before heading out into town to explore. I followed the tourist trail through to the Leaning Tower. It was getting a bit late when I got there, so decided to come back the next day to make my ascent. On my way, I picked up a massive slice of a spinach torte thing from a great little deli off a back street. I also treated myself to a yummy chocolate gelato!

I headed back to the hostel at about 6 and met two of my other room mates, a German girl called Andrea and a Dutch girl called Nora. Matt was also around and the owners kindly offered to feed us all (for nothing!), so we all sat around the table and ate and chatted for the rest of the evening.

The girls wanted to go out for a drink, but we didn't make it out until midnight. Pisa didn't seem to have much of a nightlife, which is strange for a town with 60000 students. We found the X and Y club, which was (strangely) having a Reggae night - not what I was expecting in Pisa. We only stayed for one drink then tried to find somewhere else, but gave up after finding the Irish bar was already shut, so we called it a night and headed back to the hostel. The girls were heading back home in the morning and Matt was heading onto Rome, so we said our goodbyes and went to bed. It's going to take a little getting use to, this room sharing thing. All in all, I had a great first day and went to bed happy and tired, after a long long day.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: asturjimmy